6.5x55 load with N160 & 129gr SST

TotalNovice

Hi,

I've scoured the internet for a load using the above ingredients and 46gr looks to be favourable.
I know I have work up to that in steady increments but where would someone start regarding bullet seating depth?

Rifle is a Sako 75, the barrel length is 20"

Thanks

Regards
TN

Just done this 45.8 worked the best with coal 3.055. You will find it very difficult to go 20 thou off lands as your chamber is large and there will not be enough bullet in the brass. I would start at 45.5 and go up to 47 in steps. Keep the coal at about 3.050.

See previous threads there is some great advice.
worked for me!

ATB

BE

I would seat them further back to start off with. I would argue that,

- you will still get results that will enable you to fine tune your load (There is also a good chance it won't make any difference).

- If you haven't measured your bullet length correctly or your seating isn't accurate and you end up with bullets on the lands then your results will be inconsistent or inaccurate anyway (perhaps even dangerous).

I'm using 140gr ssts in my 6.5 and although I have measured them right up to the lands previously (and with other calibers I own) I have seated these so that the widest part of the boat tail is level with the bottom of the neck of the case.

I hasn't made any difference in collecting the data I needed to see at what powder measure the average velocity spread was tightening and obtaining best accuracy.

I would seat them further back to start off with. I would argue that,

- you will still get results that will enable you to fine tune your load (There is also a good chance it won't make any difference).

I 100% agree with this. How can anyone just arbitrarily suggest a distance from the lands with any degree of certainty? I seat with the parallel sides of the bullet at the junction of the neck and shoulder, then adjust outward to either the magazine length or the rifling as necessary. I have never had to do much of this. Most loads work really well seated deep.~Muir

Thanks Muir, I was after a starting point, I was thinking, or hoping, that there would be a 'known' place to start.

Regards
TN

+1 to this.

End of the parallel of bullet level with junction of case neck and shoulder.

I think this gives the most consistent (and maximum) "grip" on the bullet, hence the greatest consistency.

It also my assertion that consistency leads to precision and hence accuracy.

I 100% agree with this. How can anyone just arbitrarily suggest a distance from the lands with any degree of certainty? I seat with the parallel sides of the bullet at the junction of the neck and shoulder, then adjust outward to either the magazine length or the rifling as necessary. I have never had to do much of this. Most loads work really well seated deep.~Muir

I've had a look in my reloading book and this is the info below regarding the 129gr SST with N160.

I've read on numerous sites that 46gr of N160 is the 'known load' but looking at the data in the book 43.6gr is the max load!

Please advise me fella's.

Thanks
TN

They're American tables I expect. The Viht tables are more optimistic and I find my 6.5x55 often gives pressure signs a couple of grains off the max in the viht tables. I'm working up a load for the 129 Interlock and find 40grn gives about 2540fps.
I start with these tables and work up to the higher loads if you need to but if these work, why use more powder?
If you have access to a chronograph it will give you an idea of how close to your rifle and the tables are and you can concentrate your test loads in the velocity region you want to achieve.
I seat at the canelure and find them just as accurate - far more so than me for sure.

They're American tables I expect. The Viht tables are more optimistic and I find my 6.5x55 often gives pressure signs a couple of grains off the max in the viht tables. I'm working up a load for the 129 Interlock and find 40grn gives about 2540fps.
I start with these tables and work up to the higher loads if you need to but if these work, why use more powder?
If you have access to a chronograph it will give you an idea of how close to your rifle and the tables are and you can concentrate your test loads in the velocity region you want to achieve.
I seat at the canelure and find them just as accurate - far more so than me for sure.

Thanks for for the reply, much appreciated.
I never even thought of that!
I've just had a look at the Viht tables and it's seems to tally up with what folk have been advising.

Thanks
TN

I read somewhere that US loads tend to be slightly tamer because they use a of the old military rifles from Sweden etc. Ours tend to be modern rifles.

Back