Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reloading dilemma

Reloading dilemma

Good Evening y'all. Hope you're all behaving yourselves

I have a confession to make, I haven't posted for a loooooooong time now. I have been on to peruse over some interesting posts though but been happily keeping busy with Gamekeeping and family commitments. The reason I'm here tonight is to ask for your help based on experience and knowledge. Knowledge is the BOMB LOL

I'm fast running out of heads for reloading and need a suitable replacement. Can't get any moreTried Reloading Solutions, Sportsman GC and an outlet called Leamon Sporting but all to no avail sadly. I'm currently using Hornady 87gn BTHP with Reloader19@46.6gns in .243. The results with these are subliminal. Great for foxing and at range too. Not taken any deer with these yet but I'm quite certain they won't make a too big a mess of the carcass. This is what I'm talking about, whatever I've aimed at and pulled the trigger, it's dropped!!!
    ANYWAY.........Back to the task in hand. I need to find a suitable replacement. Another bullet of similar characteristics, boat-tail and roughly same B.C.
    Your help and opinions would be very much welcomed.

Jase

easy 87g vmax
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Antler View Post
    Good Evening y'all. Hope you're all behaving yourselves

I have a confession to make, I haven't posted for a loooooooong time now. I have been on to peruse over some interesting posts though but been happily keeping busy with Gamekeeping and family commitments. The reason I'm here tonight is to ask for your help based on experience and knowledge. Knowledge is the BOMB LOL

I'm fast running out of heads for reloading and need a suitable replacement. Can't get any moreTried Reloading Solutions, Sportsman GC and an outlet called Leamon Sporting but all to no avail sadly. I'm currently using Hornady 87gn BTHP with Reloader19@46.6gns in .243. The results with these are subliminal. Great for foxing and at range too. Not taken any deer with these yet but I'm quite certain they won't make a too big a mess of the carcass. This is what I'm talking about, whatever I've aimed at and pulled the trigger, it's dropped!!!
    ANYWAY.........Back to the task in hand. I need to find a suitable replacement. Another bullet of similar characteristics, boat-tail and roughly same B.C.
    Your help and opinions would be very much welcomed.

Jase
    easy 87gr Hornady soft points,I don't know if you knew that the bullets you used to use have now change to Varmint,which mean they do leave a lot of damage to deer,I knoiw this due to having a batch of the old BTHP and then changed to the new barnded version the difference was ureal,hence the change to there 87gr soft points

87gn Vmax ehh?! Cheers Spud. I'll have a dig now on here and see what I can find out about their characteristics

No, I didn't know that at all. None of the shops knew this either by the sounds?! I don't want explosive heads, I want to use an all rounder head, good stopping power with as little meat damage as possible on deer yet destructive enough to drop foxes out to 200-250yrds instant. Do you think the SP Hornady's would be similar to powder weight and dimensions of the O-give and length?

A little cofused now, I've read here that the Vmax are varmint bullets?? No good for deer then?! Though, saying that, could take neck shots I guess if they are a little explosive???!
    I'm using Lapua brass with an RPA Woodland Stalker if that helps

Before I moved to 7mm08 I used 87gr Hornady soft points. They do the job and expand nicely but I didn't like the calibre. I wouldn't consider V max for deer although some on here might disagree.
    Hope that helps.

are the hornady 87 grain soft points , boatail or flat base ?????

2440 6MM .243 87 GR SP 100 30.95
    Just taking from their current price list (Hannams that is)

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Antler View Post
    No, I didn't know that at all. None of the shops knew this either by the sounds?! I don't want explosive heads, I want to use an all rounder head, good stopping power with as little meat damage as possible on deer yet destructive enough to drop foxes out to 200-250yrds instant. Do you think the SP Hornady's would be similar to powder weight and dimensions of the O-give and length?
    I loaded a batch of the 87gr BTHP for a guy then pulled them and loaded the exact same spec with the 87gr SP,they shot just as well and didn't damage the meat