Thread: perruke

perruke

Just been reading a book where it's suggested that a roe bbuck suffering a significant testicular injury is likely to shortly afterwards cast his hard antler and grow a replacement head which is likely to turn into a perruke.

My understanding previously, and I may have misinterpreted what the author (prior) is saying, was that perrukes usually result from a buck growing such a head the following year from a testicular injury.

So my question is, what is the latest month in the year sd members have come across a perruke buck? I'd be surprised if it was later than May, but look forward to hearing of people's experiences.

Novice

Surely someone on here has shot a perruke and can just about remember the month they did it?!?

Maybe I should have asked what breed of dog you should use to follow up a shot perukke,no doubt that would have raised a few posts :-)

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    Maybe I should have asked what breed of dog you should use to follow up a shot perukke,no doubt that would have raised a few posts :-)

Whats your thoughts on why it would be no later than may? Surely it is possible to see it at any time in the year since they don't cast as the blood keeps on flowing, right? I'm not at home so can't dig out my book!

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    I think you are underestimating how rare a perruque head actually is. They are rarer than gold medals, that's for sure.
    Germans go nuts for unusual heads. Coalesced heads probably even rarer. I thought I had one a couple of years ago but after heavy cleaning you could just about get a piece of paper between the antlers.
    I personally wasn't aware that a buck would drop his antlers soon after testicular damage. However, if that is true then a perruque could be shot at almost anytime of year ( even off season as a mercy killing).
    I think your assumption of it probably not being later than May is also wrong. If the buck were to sustain damage in late February or even March it is unlikely that his perruque would be clearly visible until after May. Even if you saw him in velvet in May you could just be looking at an unbelievable yearling. I know of one gold medal yearling Roebuck.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by aliS View Post

Whats your thoughts on why it would be no later than may? Surely it is possible to see it at any time in the year since they don't cast as the blood keeps on flowing, right? I'm not at home so can't dig out my book!
    I guess that's why I asked. On my understanding, I'd have thought the presence of flies by May would do for any perruque buck on a normal antler cycle. I'm interested to know if anyone has shot such a beast at an 'unusual' time if the year, which would lend weight to the alternative theory.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    I think you are underestimating how rare a perruque head actually is. They are rarer than gold medals, that's for sure.
    Germans go nuts for unusual heads. Coalesced heads probably even rarer. I thought I had one a couple of years ago but after heavy cleaning you could just about get a piece of paper between the antlers.
    I personally wasn't aware that a buck would drop his antlers soon after testicular damage. However, if that is true then a perruque could be shot at almost anytime of year ( even off season as a mercy killing).
    I think your assumption of it probably not being later than May is also wrong. If the buck were to sustain damage in late February or even March it is unlikely that his perruque would be clearly visible until after May. Even if you saw him in velvet in May you could just be looking at an unbelievable yearling. I know of one gold medal yearling Roebuck.
    I appreciate that they are a one of several lifetimes kind of thing, but I'd have thought that amongst the great and the good of the sd membership there would be a couple who have been present when one had been grassed.

The impression I get is that once the growth gets going its very aggressive and progresses quicker than normal growth in velvet. Again I'm voicing my own theories and understanding. I'd be more than happy to stand aside to first hand knowledge

Novice

Head start | Sporting Rifle magazine

Did a quick bit of google research and the he above article seems to agree with what you are saying, if they make it to late summer where they inevitably die then your "no later than May" statement is probably spot on I'd say... Thanks for the post, most enlightening.

p.s. Marco Pierre whites one was shot in April.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    I appreciate that they are a one of several lifetimes kind of thing, but I'd have thought that amongst the great and the good of the sd membership there would be a couple who have been present when one had been grassed.

The impression I get is that once the growth gets going its very aggressive and progresses quicker than normal growth in velvet. Again I'm voicing my own theories and understanding. I'd be more than happy to stand aside to first hand knowledge

Novice
    I thought there was someone on here who had shot 2x. Can't tell you who though
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Dave next time your up my end ill show you a picture of a perruke that was shot local to me I'm not sure of the exact month but I believe its in winter coat so may of been October

Cheers mate. I'd have thought someone like your Dad or Hubert may have come across one in their time.