Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ??? for anyone familiar with German rifles...

??? for anyone familiar with German rifles...

Can someone tell me what makes a rifle a "Stutzen"? Is it just the shorter barrel/overall length with the full length stock? Or, is there more to it than that? Saw several on a drive hunt today and really liked the short/handy length...

Thanks. Dave

My understanding is that a stutzen type rifle is stocked the full length of the barrel, if that makes sense.

Novice

STUTZEN Rifle mmm A Millarty rifle cut down or altered for civilian use , i,e, in German Cut clip doc ,,, well Be

Guess so.... Seems to be just the easier handling (short) type rifle... Easier to maneuver in dense areas and compact stands/blinds (I been googling )..
    Seems the normal length is 1 meter +/- an inch.... Just wondering if there was some other difference....

Thanks.

German, wikepedia describes a stutzen as a short hunting rifle. Usually with full stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    Can someone tell me what makes a rifle a "Stutzen"? Is it just the shorter barrel/overall length with the full length stock? Or, is there more to it than that? Saw several on a drive hunt today and really liked the short/handy length...

Thanks. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by High seat View Post
    German, wikepedia describes a stutzen as a short hunting rifle. Usually with full stock.
    My German 'hunting'-dictionary says it's 'a relatively short single-barrel rifle'.

Origins of the word stutzen, I don't speak German but I was told by a gun maker some years ago who makes quite a few of these rifles that stutzen means shooting. Doesn't stutzenfest translate as shooting festival or is that just a made up word.

I have just looked on the google translate page and it says the word means support or back up, which would tie in with idea of a short rifle perhaps used by support units in an army who would have been issued with the shorter carbine. Or does it refer to a weapon carried say by a tracker who wanted a shorter rifle that would only be fired at short range? Incidentally the gunsmith at the time was building a stutzen with a longish barrel (24" or so) in .270win that he showed us. So perhaps it was meant that the barrel is supported along its entire length??

I think that most of us regard a stutzen as a short barrelled rifle where the stock extends all the way to the muzzle. I believe the Americans often refer to such a stock as a Mannlicher stock after the company which made many rifles in this style.

Dalua how does your hunting dictionary describe the word Kipplauf. I take it to mean a single shot break action rifle.
    Last edited by 8x57; 02-12-2013 at 07:31.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Origins of the word stutzen, I don't speak German but I was told by a gun maker some years ago who makes quite a few of these rifles that stutzen means shooting. Doesn't stutzenfest translate as shooting festival or is that just a made up word.

I have just looked on the google translate page and it says the word means support or back up, which would tie in with idea of a short rifle perhaps used by support units in an army who would have been issued with the shorter carbine. Or does it refer to a weapon carried say by a tracker who wanted a shorter rifle that would only be fired at short range? Incidentally the gunsmith at the time was building a stutzen with a longish barrel (24" or so) in .270win that he showed us. So perhaps it was meant that the barrel is supported along its entire length??

I think that most of us regard a stutzen as a short barrelled rifle where the stock extends all the way to the muzzle. I believe the Americans often refer to such a stock as a Mannlicher stock after the company which made many rifles in this style.

Dalua how does your hunting dictionary describe the word Kipplauf. I take it to mean a single shot break action rifle.
    That could be the whole deal right there and it's as much (or more) the type of stock than the length... That's something that aggravates the hell outta me with the German language... One word can mean different things depending on the subject.....

The verb "stutzen" means "to clip/cut" (foliage, hair etc.)

Schiessen would be shooting

Der Lauf is barrel so Kipplauf should translate to "tilting barrel" (or is the right word "tipping"?)

I thought the German word for short was kutz as in 9mm Kurtz (.380acp, or 9mm corto in Spanish)?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.