Sika gets me again.

dlz90

The camera is some 10ft off the ground but still sika knows something isn't right, the camera is covered in camo/moss/ivy so I am pretty sure she did not see it, and its covert ir that's no flash to you and me, but to sika ? anyway I think she gets my scent yet again off the cam there's a few vocals in this vid as well just to add the fascination of these beautiful animals.

That bird calling is a calf....

Yes that sounds like her calf alright I have seen her and calf together in some other videos from that location, they have a great array of vocalizations between each other, I wonder what they are saying I can imagine "that lads at it again will he never learn" lol they are damm near impossible to see when I go out with the rifle, in fact I would go as far to say these sika are so switched on you would need to turn into part of the forest to come anywhere close enough for a shot this makes hunting them very very interesting guess that's why we love / hate them so much...lol..:D

Yes that sounds like her calf alright I have seen her and calf together in some other videos from that location, they have a great array of vocalizations between each other, I wonder what they are saying I can imagine "that lads at it again will he never learn" lol they are damm near impossible to see when I go out with the rifle, in fact I would go as far to say these sika are so switched on you would need to turn into part of the forest to come anywhere close enough for a shot this makes hunting them very very interesting guess that's why we love / hate them so much...lol..:D

I often sit and listen to the calves calling, sometimes just a few meteres away in the woods. The one I don't like is when its a continual call every few seconds and you can tell its wandering about whilst doing it. Sounds quite pitifull to be honest and that of a young deer now panicking as its hind has been away for some time. They are a very vocal deer in groups, and this year right after the rut I came across a large group in a grass park outside the forestry consisting of probably 30 or so hinds, a few stags, two of which were fighting hard. The hinds were chirping non stop with some of the calves trying to stay out the way of it all! Great to watch albeit too late on for a shot!

I know what you mean, so unpredictable, very difficult to second guess. A real challenge but so fascinating...

yet another example of animals "seeing" or detecting IR that they are not meant to detect.

I get foxes that pick up the IR from my NV spotter with such clear confirmation that I am adamant they can see it or it changes the way the surrounding trees/grass etc look to them

I'm almost certain all animals can see the red glow if they look towards it. If the device makes any noise when it starts up that's possibly why it looked up, and maybe it was just the Ir coming on in its peripheral vision that caused it to look harder.

Back