Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: loose bullets quantity on license

loose bullets quantity on license

Hi all,

Couple of quick questions if I may,

I am considering reloading my own ammo soon, and am not sure about a couple of things:

Are loose (expanding or otherwise) bullets to be entered on my license, and therefore to account for part of my allowed ammo holding? Or is the quantity only referring to primed, loaded bullets and cases (ready to fire)?
    i.e. If my allowance is 500 rounds, and I have 500, can I purchase any bullets, primers, powder?
    Will primers, bullets and powder need to be entered on my license?

Thanks,

Rob.

Only bullets will be entered on your license and they count towards your holding

On your licence, you should have two separate quantities: one for the amount you can PURCHASE and one for the amount you can POSSESS. If you think about it the latter should be a bigger number than the former otherwise you have to completely run out of loaded rounds before you can go shopping.

Expanding bullets will usually be entered on your licence at time of purchase and depending on your Firearms Authority and the judgement of your RFD you might find that some dealers won't sell you primers which don't fit a calibre which you possess.

As to the pile of semi-assembled rounds you decide to stockpile at home I would refer you to current Home Office Guidance and, if in doubt, you should check with your Firearms Authority how they might feel if you decide to buy, say, 1000 brass cases and put primers in them all.

Rob all expanding bullets will count towards your ammo allowance regardless of loaded or not. Non expanding bullets (not loaded rounds) do not count towards your ammo allowance so you may possess as many as you like. Some forces actually give a separate allowance for expanding bullets and one for ammunition.
    Expanding bullet purchases are signed on to your certificate just as loaded ammunition is but there is no need to do so for non expanding bullets.

This question has been asked several times in the past and there appears to be some variance with how different police forces and dealers deal with it so, if you do a search of the site you will be able to research previous debates. As always debates sometimes generated more heat than light but I think that BASC actually clarified the situation and have the information on their website also.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I have never had expanding bullets entered on my license.
    In fact I have never had any centrefire bullets or ammunition entered. As I reloaded from day one!

Quote Originally Posted by Bertie Dastard View Post
    In fact I have never had any centrefire bullets or ammunition entered. As I reloaded from day one!
    I hope you keep a handloading log for when your FEO enquires about ammo usage at renewal time.

Ian.

Established Poster
    I have amount to possess ,amount to buy and amount of missiles (unloaded bullet heads).

Thanks for the answers here, all very helpful.
    I'll check that BASC guidance too.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Bertie Dastard View Post
    I take it that your dealer/supplier of expanding bullets still doesn't sign them on your ticket then. Most tend to now as they are required to do so by their issuing authority, but in the past my certificate would go for years with no ammunition entries apart from .22lr.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Primed cases don't count , non expanding bullets don't count , dealers may wish to see your FAC before selling you primers or propellant , expanding bullets are treated as live rounds and MUST be entered on your FAC by the dealer / seller ,these expanding bullets count towards your permitted total in that calibre.

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
    Adolph Hitler 1933