Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: FMJ Sierra GameKings

FMJ Sierra GameKings

Im sorry if this has been covered before. I recently bought some 90 grain 6mm sierra gameking bullets for use in my .243. Ive been using 75 grain vmax for fox and culling deer but wanted something a bit more...substantial for the larger deer. I didnt realise at the time that these bullets are full metal jackets, despite being written onto my FAC as expanding, sierra recommends them for use on fur bearing game to reduce pelt damage. My question is, has anyone used these on deer? My thoughts were to load some, try for accuracy and 'test' on foxes to see if they do expand at the higher velocities. I just want to reiterate that these are listed as expanding, so as far as im aware, legal on deer. Im just not sure im comfortable using them for that.
    Hope you can help with this.
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matastrophe View Post
    Im sorry if this has been covered before. I recently bought some 90 grain 6mm sierra gameking bullets for use in my .243. Ive been using 75 grain vmax for fox and culling deer but wanted something a bit more...substantial for the larger deer. I didnt realise at the time that these bullets are full metal jackets, despite being written onto my FAC as expanding, sierra recommends them for use on fur bearing game to reduce pelt damage. My question is, has anyone used these on deer? My thoughts were to load some, try for accuracy and 'test' on foxes to see if they do expand at the higher velocities. I just want to reiterate that these are listed as expanding, so as far as im aware, legal on deer. Im just not sure im comfortable using them for that.
    Hope you can help with this.
    Matt
    Test on FOX? Thats going to cause a stir. what if they do not expand will you have another rifle present to hopefully back you up to stop any suffering.
    Last edited by patjack; 02-12-2013 at 19:23.

I thought that might be a controversial word, I couldnt think of another one to use. I will have someone backing me up with a .223 and vmax. I would also say that is what the bullets were designed for, use on foxes and coyotes.

I think you bought the wrong bullet Matt. As fmj they would not be suitable or legal to use on deer. To be honest the Gameking title would have led me to believe that they would have been classed as expanding also until I looked at the website. https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/...m--90-gr-FMJBT
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

clue is in the name "GAMEking"
    whilst they are made of a drawn cup over a solid core
    they are not a FMJ round and can NOT be posted as such (i.e. Match ammo)

http://www.midwayuk.com/Sierra-GameK...ail-Box-of-100
    "GameKing Bullets are designed for hunting at long range, where their extra margin of performance can make the critical difference. GameKing bullets feature a boat tail design to bring hunters the ballisticadvantage normally found with match target bullets"

I have used game king and the expand just like a soft nose of similar cup and core style

165gr .308 Gameking:

Thats fast becoming my conclusion, i originally wanted some 100 grain prohunters or gamekings, both of which are soft point. I didnt actually look at the bullets until i got home. I just assumed that as expanding ammunition they would be ok. Did a bit of research like i said and found that they were described as fur harvesting bullets so might try them on some pumpkins and just use them to practice.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    clue is in the name "GAMEking"
    whilst they are made of a drawn cup over a solid core
    they are not a FMJ round and can NOT be posted as such (i.e. Match ammo)

http://www.midwayuk.com/Sierra-GameK...ail-Box-of-100
    "GameKing Bullets are designed for hunting at long range, where their extra margin of performance can make the critical difference. GameKing bullets feature a boat tail design to bring hunters the ballisticadvantage normally found with match target bullets"

I have used game king and the expand just like a soft nose of similar cup and core style

165gr .308 Gameking:

On the sierra website the bullets you have described are soft point, these are FMJ, it even says so on the box, i just didnt notice. Im not trying to argue with anyone, or say that anyone is wrong in their own findings, just seeking advice.
    Regards,
    Matt

Just looked in an old sierra manual, are they 90gn #1535 (fmjbt) ? if so sierra state as you have said a pelt friendly bullet that does not deform with minimal damage caused.
    Last edited by patjack; 02-12-2013 at 19:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Matastrophe View Post
    On the sierra website the bullets you have described are soft point, these are FMJ, it even says so on the box, i just didnt notice. Im not trying to argue with anyone, or say that anyone is wrong in their own findings, just seeking advice.
    Regards,
    Matt
    nope
    the midway link is your bullet (and mine in this scenario)
    looks almost like a FMJ SMK with a slightly larger meplat

They are designed to expand.

FMJ and Scierra MatchKing are not. They will often banana before they expand

SMK (Open Tipped Match) vs GameKing:

Last edited by bewsher500; 02-12-2013 at 19:35.

Quote Originally Posted by patjack View Post
    Just looked in an old sierra manual, are they 90gn #1535 (fmjbt) ? if so sierra state as you have said a pelt friendly bullet that does not deform with minimal damage caused.
    They are indeed. It does also say that they should not be doing in excess of 2700fps to ensure minimum pelt damage, and i was going to load them to 3100 ish as long as accuracy allows.