Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is it that Ackley Improves?

What is it that Ackley Improves?

I'm sure this may have been covered before but I couldn't find anything matching my question.
    If you have a rifle of ? calbre and Ackleyfied it, is accuracy guaranteed to be improved using the same rifle/ammo combination i.e same barrell, brass, primer, powder and head?
    Flogging will continue until morale improves

Ackleyfied simply allows more space inside the brass case for powder. It has nothing to do with accuracy. You're unlikely to use the same amount of powder in an Ackley improved rifle as you did previously as there would be no point in it if you did!
    Baguio

So really it's abit like going from 22-250 to a .220 swift just a case size change allowing more powder/heavier bullet

It also aids with less case stretching, obviously larger case capacity should equal a few more FPS, but has no guarantee with regards to accuracy. The cartridges standard case can still be used in an improved chamber (Fireforming), generally with little or no adverse affect on accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Deerstalkermark View Post
    So really it's abit like going from 22-250 to a .220 swift just a case size change allowing more powder/heavier bullet
    No, is the short answer. The longer answer is to read Volumes 1 and 2 of PO Ackley's books.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&field-author=P.%20O.%20Ackley&page=1&rh=n%3A283155%2Cp_2 7%3AP.%20O.%20Ackley

I had a 243 Ackley and to date it's the most accurate rifle I have owned. I bought it second-hand off another Forum member. The key point with the Ackley is that you can continue to use factory ammunition. When my 243 Ackley arrived from down south, I got some RWS 96 gr ammo, zeroed it and went stalking roe bucks. I then at my leisure through the summer developed a stalking load and a practice load for it.

My view is that this rifle performed very well because of the quality of the build and the quality of the components. I think Russell Gall could have built an equally accurate rifle in std 243 Win.

The downside in my limited experience of 'Improved' rifles is the availability of dies and that alone is what will keep me clear of Ackley and other 'Improved' variants in the future.

I'm sure Kevin will be along shortly with some pertinent comments too.

Regards

JCS

I think what I'm trying to get my head around is you have a rifle and develope the most accurate homeload for it and then have it improved, will it actually be more accurate. I imagine any given barrel must have a maximum accuracy potential and could this have been achieved with a homeload prior to improving it and therefore making no differnce?
    Less case stretching would be a positive of course.
    Last edited by Deerstalkermark; 02-12-2013 at 23:02.

Lots of tough reading there, but AI versions of current cartridges give you more performance from the standard cartridge, and maybe more street cred (like going for a Focus ST with fandango wheels rather than the 1.6) without going for the next bigger in the same calibre. The aim was higher velocity rather than accuracy, and to fill in gaps in the available lineup many years back.

It defies logic to me, but your example of .220 Swift instead of .22-250 would entail a Long action (and more expensive rimmed cases) whereas a blown-out .22-250 AI could be housed in a Medium action. As I understand it, Ackley wanted to rework the older cartridge cases which had considerable body taper to get a bit more vim out of them. The standard and AI cartridges share a common headspace, although most AI's have more acute shoulder angles and near-parallel bodies. You can use the original cartridge (if you run out at a pinch .... as you will) and fireform it to fit your pet Ackley.

I think more recent cartridge developments like the WSSM/WSM series have overtaken Ackley's ideas a fair bit.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    Lots of tough reading there, but AI versions of current cartridges give you more performance from the standard cartridge, and maybe more street cred (like going for a Focus ST with fandango wheels rather than the 1.6) without going for the next bigger in the same calibre. The aim was higher velocity rather than accuracy, and to fill in gaps in the available lineup many years back.

It defies logic to me, but your example of .220 Swift instead of .22-250 would entail a Long action (and more expensive rimmed cases) whereas a blown-out .22-250 AI could be housed in a Medium action. As I understand it, Ackley wanted to rework the older cartridge cases which had considerable body taper to get a bit more vim out of them. The standard and AI cartridges share a common headspace, although most AI's have more acute shoulder angles and near-parallel bodies. You can use the original cartridge (if you run out at a pinch .... as you will) and fireform it to fit your pet Ackley.

I think more recent cartridge developments like the WSSM/WSM series have overtaken Ackley's ideas a fair bit.
    you're twisting my melon, man!

I shoot an AI and one thing not so far mentioned is the steep shoulder can hamper chambering a round, mine does if you try to reload slowly eg when a fox is coming to a squeak. This can be alleviated by using a single stack mag as opposed to an offset one. They do appear to be accurate compared to a standard calibre but i think that's a reflection on the need to reload for your rifle compared to someone wih a standard calibre and a factory round who does not necessarily go to the same extent in pursuit of accuracy as someone who is forced to reload to see the benefeit of their choice of calibre.

cue Muir..........