Min cal for boar Croatia

Jimbob

Can anybody please tell me if there is a min cal for driven boar in Croatia, I'm stuck between my 270wsm Nosler or 6.5x55 blaser?

Both on my euro license.

Either would do it, but with boar there's no point skimping on gun if you've got the choice go for whichever has the greater knockdown IMO

Given my limited experiences in Croatia, the boar are big and aggressive.

I would buy at 30.06 barrel for that Blaser.

I don't remember the legal requirements, but practically, the 270 and the 6.5 can no doubt be used. However, I would really want a 30 cal.

One of the main guiding company's advice would seem to differ with a couple of the opinions above, they quote a minimum of 7mm and 160grain bullets for use on boar in Croatia
http://www.lasarotta.co.uk/regulations.php they have a pdf ammunition guide for the various species on offer in Croatia.
I've seen .270win stop many a boar, but maybe best not to push your luck just in case you run into a fussy cop at the airport or out on the hunting ground.
Get in touch with a guiding company and check that one of your choices is actually legal rather than take the risk, that would be the way I'd go about it.

I have used a 6.5x55 round in Croatia on boar and found they knocked em over just fine. I think the round is very important however, I was using Bear claw. For running game the bigger rounds do have more margin in them though.

Thanks for the heads up. On the plane tomorrow so decision made on 270 wsm with Winchester gxp3 large heavy game

Excellent stuff and good luck. I shot my first boar over the weekend with a 9.3x62. Buy one, every home should have one ;)

Best of luck, let us all know how you fare.
Who are you using as an agent - assuming you're using an agent of course?

Well done young scrumbag!

I know a chap who has been to Croatia a couple of times with a Marlin lever action in .45-70. The first time the locals took the rise out of him to start with but he soon put a stop to that when he knocked over one or two of their pigs with it...

I know a chap who has been to Croatia a couple of times with a Marlin lever action in .45-70. The first time the locals took the rise out of him to start with but he soon put a stop to that when he knocked over one or two of their pigs with it...

I've taken my 18" barrelled Marlin 1895 SBL to Croatia a couple of times and had the "John Wayne" and "bank robber" jokes from the locals. All part of the banter! :D

Thanks for the heads up. On the plane tomorrow so decision made on 270 wsm with Winchester gxp3 large heavy game
[FONT=&quot]I am also off to Strizivojna[/FONT] in Croatia on Thursday, driven boar and jackel, the revier is called [FONT=&quot]Merolino so I do hope you have fun too
Martin.[/FONT]

Just got back from an excellent trip with the Adria hunt, a group of good people from uk, Germany and Austria. Wonderful memories and laughs, managed to be the envy of the group with a big keilor but in reflection I took the wrong cal.
shooting through the scrub and forestry, is not for the 270wsm, it seems the heavier cals used by our euro friends will push through the scrub and the blaser would have been a wiser choice for the cycle/reload time, but is no match for their semi auto large cals.
Those pigs take some putting down, hardy beasts which run on even with major organ damage, it's unbelievable.
The ceremonial horns and presentations including my surprise for my first boar are fantastic.

Just got back from an excellent trip with the Adria hunt, a group of good people from uk, Germany and Austria. Wonderful memories and laughs, managed to be the envy of the group with a big keilor but in reflection I took the wrong cal.
shooting through the scrub and forestry, is not for the 270wsm, it seems the heavier cals used by our euro friends will push through the scrub and the blaser would have been a wiser choice for the cycle/reload time, but is no match for their semi auto large cals.
Those pigs take some putting down, hardy beasts which run on even with major organ damage, it's unbelievable.
The ceremonial horns and presentations including my surprise for my first boar are fantastic.

Glad you had a good trip.

The big semi's are amazing, when I was there, the guys were using 300 win mag's and 9.3x62 BAR's and H&K's. Great stuff.

For the travelling UK hunter, a Blaser with a 30/06 or 9.3 barrel is the only way to go.

Congratulations, but as for choosing the wrong calibre, that boar looks pretty dead to me...

He took two though, first one took him over, then 30 secs later he started to move, I turned round, then back again he was gone. I had to run 100 yds to get to him for a second. Luckily no other guns adjacent to be able to move.

Back