Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bone saws and how to divide ribs

Bone saws and how to divide ribs

I have a short bone saw -about 10" and use it to split haunches and cross cut spines. It came from David Stretton and is quite course . What I want to do is to cut down the spine in order to produce nice chops or racks with th spine nicely cut in half.My saw wont do this as it causes the joint to slip about and I end up with a ragged cut down one side of the upstanding vertibra. Beyond putting the joint in the work mate what can I do? Would a finer longer saw help?

I can recomend one of these it makes a great job of anything you need to do,atb wayne
    For Sale: Home Larder Bone Saws

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

I just use a hacksaw. A reciprocating saw with a wood cutting blade in it makes the job very easy though, I kid you not
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

I seem to recall at a demonstration that a cleaver was the best method - or perhaps just advocated by that particular butcher.

try a kamlock 17.5 inch bone saw, stand the saddle upwards and saw from the top down if not saw the whole carcase from the pelvis down following the spine its easier from the front if you can see the spinal cord on either side your bang on

Never used them but branch cutters would do a neater job.

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    I just use a hacksaw. A reciprocating saw with a wood cutting blade in it makes the job very easy though, I kid you not
    I'm glad I'm not the only one! I did intend getting a bone saw till the prices put me off! I use just a good old wood saw at the moment...

In the states you can buy a cordless 18v portable Chinese clone of a sawzall for about $30. Will cleanly split entire length of the backbone in under a minute and cleans up well. Have not gone back to the saw.

Cleaver down the spine is best for me

My local butcher has hooks either side of a door opening which he hangs carcass on by back legs, he then simply uses a cleaver to chop down the spine. The weight of the carcass and the fact the legs are spread apart helps open up the two sides. A few steady chops and it falls in two hanging on the hooks. Nice neat job. Cleaver is easy to clean. And no meat/spinal chord pulled all through the joint. I've never done it myself but my butcher been there for along time.