Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hornady GMX

Hornady GMX

Picked up some 150gr Hornady GMX.
    I will be using them with H-414 in my 30-06.
    Just wondering if any one has used them & how did they perform.

Thanks.

John

Good morning Macky. In answer to your question . WE have loaded a lot of GMX bullets for our own use as well as for clients off to Africa in 308, 30.06 , 300 WSM and 300 win mag. WE found accuracy to be first rate from good barrels, ie sub 1/2 moa. Terminal performance was outstanding. One client taking 27 animals with 28 rounds. The 1600 lb Eland bull took a finishing round as it was on the ground.

They do have the advantage over barnes bullets in that one may use the same load data from the equivalent weight conventional Hornady bullet : an SST for example and they do seem to show good accuracy at reasonably close seating to the lands of the rifling. The barnes bullets require seating a minimum of 0.050 thou off the lands .
    I would advise that before load development that your barrel is absolutely clean and devoid of copper to achieve the best results. We did find in our testing that the bullets did "colour" the barrel during shooting . but accuracy was excellent. The barrel could only be considered fouled when accuracy was seen to drop off. That was at about 30 rounds from our barrels. The application of a good solvent and cleaning regimine and accuracy was again stellar.
    58.8 grains is the top load using H414 and a Hornady case / Winchester, but I would reduce that by a full grain if using a lapua or a PPU case due to their heavier weight / reduced capacity in comparison to the hornady case. Incidently we achieved our best accuracy using 50- 50.5grains of N150 and a fed 210 primer. Velocity was 2945fps from a 23 inch barrel. I hope you find this useful yours respectfully Mike Norris Brock and Norris Custom Rifles .

Thank you Mike.
    The rifle is a Tikka 695.
    I have got a good load with 58.5gr H-414 behind 155gr A-Max, it will give me 3/4" at 100y, velocity is 2850 ft/sec.
    Just hoping the GMX will do the same.

John

Brock & Norris, Have you done much with non-lead 270. I have to use factory stuff but it would be good to hear info about the projectiles

Posted a while back on GMX following use on stags, i'll try to find and link.

In our case ( and big Hornady fans ) terminal performance was disappointing. Accuracy was very good and no issues on the cleaning side of things.

Despite Hornady notes regards identical loads, found in our case that between two 308's and a 7x57 loads needed a slight reduction to match trajectory/ velocity etc.

In that previous post, also noted that Lapua Natralis and Silvestra Bi metal gave similar poor terminal performance. That was across 308, 7x57, 7mm Rem Mag and 300 Win Mag - with reloads and factory rounds.

Different experience from Mike N - but I'd ascribe it to exactly that - just different experiences equally valid.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

accuracy is great but they don't do the damage needed on our big deer to put them on the ground quickly with 'good' shot placement, bullets zip through without enough thump in 308. Win mag at much higher speed I'm sure it performs better. Great if you want minimal meat damage but not nearly as good as the likes of a premium lead bullet, wasn't impressed when I used them on red. A long way from the delivery of a Nosler Ballistic Tip for example.

put them through bone and they'll probably expand fine, for ex. through front shoulder into lungs, particularly at ranges over 100yds. if H/L shooting, esp. at ranges over 100yds+ then a non-frangible bullet is the worst possible choice.

I tried the lapua offerings in 243 and 308 and found them lacking ? that's my only experience.
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    I tried the lapua offerings in 243 and 308 and found them lacking ? that's my only experience.
    if you mean the 'mega' I'm not surprised, uk deer are far too thin skinned. I'd imagine you got a lot of dead runs or staggering around bleeding?

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    if you mean the 'mega' I'm not surprised, uk deer are far too thin skinned. I'd imagine you got a lot of dead runs or staggering around bleeding?
    it was the natraulis , a while ago now on red hinds
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !