Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Barrell life

Barrell life

All this talk on here about rebarelling has me thinking, what is the expected life of a deer calibre barrel?
    Assume it is someone with a stainless/synthetic 6.5x55 sako 85 who hardly never takes the mod off and cleans it only every 20 rounds or so

Just interested what the general consensus is, are we talking tens of thousands or less?

your barrel will last a liftime for hunting use but if you leave the mod on and store probably not long at all.

If he doesn't take the moderator off then it could be a very short barrel life possibly measured in months rather than years.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    If he doesn't take the moderator off then it could be a very short barrel life possibly measured in months rather than years.
    I am actually talking about me of course I do take it off normally but sometimes it is thrown back in the safe as it is.

I am more interested in what the trigger is for people getting a new barrel?
    Last edited by PointBlank; 03-12-2013 at 18:37.

Leave the mod on and you not only run the risk of it getting stuck but also dissimilar metal corrosion on the crown. But saying that my .22 seems fine mod on... I left the mod on my .222 and was pretty slack about cleaning it. The crown was ****ed within a year and the inside of the barrel at the muzzle wasn't looking to hot either - ended up scrapping it. That was a pretty old Bruno that was in good nick before it was threaded for a moderator.

Quote Originally Posted by gr1ffer View Post
    your barrel will last a liftime for hunting use...
    But surely there must be wear on the rifling? I know the serious boys with the smallbore shooting talk about a new barrel every 30 thousand rounds and that is shooting soft lead at a lot slower speeds.

yes there will be wear and im no 6.5 expert but its all a muchness that 6.5x55 barrel will last 3000-4000 rounds before accuracy begins to degrade (depending on usage and maintainance) so if he shoots 200 rounds a year that will make 20 years of barrel life. if he looks after it he may well exeed that amount by a great deal it all depends on what is the acceptable accuracy to him. But you right it will start wearing from the first round. muir and brithunter shoot some pretty old rifles im sure have clocked thousands and shoot great. we killed a 338 barrel and mod in 400 rounds so if you dont look after it and hammer rounds at a rapid rate it will die. i reckon if you can afford the ammo to shoot out a barrel you probably can afford to get it swapped as awell.

regards
    kris

Quote Originally Posted by gr1ffer View Post
    yes there will be wear and im no 6.5 expert but its all a muchness that 6.5x55 barrel will last 3000-4000 rounds before accuracy begins to degrade (depending on usage and maintainance) so if he shoots 200 rounds a year that will make 20 years of barrel life. if he looks after it he may well exeed that amount by a great deal it all depends on what is the acceptable accuracy to him. But you right it will start wearing from the first round. muir and brithunter shoot some pretty old riflecraft im sure have clocked thousands and shoot great. we killed a 338 barrel and mod in 400 rounds so if you dont look after it and hammer rounds at a rapid rate it will die. i reckon if you can afford the ammo to shoot out a barrel you probably can afford to get it swapped as awell.

regards
    kris
    Good answer thanks,

It's the powder burning that causes the wear not usually the bullet itself.

As for the .22LR the Americans conducted experiments on this and found it was a ring of erosion just after the chamber that caused the problem. Cutting off the chamber re-threading and re-chambering restored and some time improved the grouping of these target rifles. I am afraid the shooters especially those here in the UK have been brain washed about re-barrelling.

Different cartridges and choice of powders used plus the rate of fire will determine barrel erosion. I really don't know how these solid bronze, copper or gilding metal bullets effect wear but by increasing pressures I would expect wear to be increased.

As one who does shoot old rifles some of which have seen god only knows how many rounds through the bore the choice of bullet can make a huge difference in grouping.

Plus the way in which a rifle is cleaned also can have a huge effect on it's accurate life.