Thread: 204 Ruger

204 Ruger

Any of you blokes ever used the 204 Ruger on Roe and maybe Sika Fallow females ?

I am curiouse as I am giving seriouse thought to using it during Damage Control Hunting next year of whitetail doe's . Well atleast kill one with it .

When I had the first 204 I tried all bullets from 25-40 grains I could lay my hands on . And I got some Berger 50 grainers before I sold the gun but never did try any of them . I'm also curiouse if the Berger 50 is stout enough to hold up for double lung pass thru shots .

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    As far as we here in the uk are concerned 6pt-sika, the 204 calibre is not deer legal in the uk,

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

As BobJS notes, the .204 Ruger isn't legal for use on deer in the UK and anyone after roe or sika will only have used something larger.

I've had a .204 for some years no, but haven't used anything heavier than a 40-grain bullet, or shot anything larger than a fox. Unless the 50-grainers perform very differently, amy feeling would be that, if you really have to use a .204 on whitetails, a neck shot would be your best bet with expansion rather than penetration being the order of the day.

Really, though, the obvious solution is to hit them with something bigger and to use a bullet that's designed for the job and has a proven track record of doing it well.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    Unless the 50-grainers perform very differently, amy feeling would be that, if you really have to use a .204 on whitetails, a neck shot would be your best bet with expansion rather than penetration being the order of the day.

Really, though, the obvious solution is to hit them with something bigger and to use a bullet that's designed for the job and has a proven track record of doing it well.

I am thinking of headshots only at 50 yards or less !

I have MANY others that are larger .

If a 50 grainer in a 222 or 223 is considered okay for Roe or Sika hinds I see no reason a 50 in the 204 shouldn't be viewed the same . And I understand your government not allowing etc . But during DCP hunting we have no caliber energy regulations .

Can you get a .204 with a tight enough twist to shoot 50gr accurately ?

Quote Originally Posted by V8 90 View Post
    Can you get a .204 with a tight enough twist to shoot 50gr accurately ?
    I dunno I have a Ruger #1B chambered for the cartridge so I'll try it !

IF it won't stabalize the 50 grainers well enough then I'll step down to a Berger 45 etc etc .

This past year wjile damage control shooting we had some chip shots at deer . And I usually carry two rifles one for longer ranges and a 444 lever with cast bullets for up close . So next year I can carry the 204 for the puddin shots and a real rifle for everything else .

Damage Control hunting is all about me blooding rifles I've not killed anything with in the past .

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    I am thinking of headshots only at 50 yards or less !

I have MANY others that are larger .

If a 50 grainer in a 222 or 223 is considered okay for Roe or Sika hinds I see no reason a 50 in the 204 shouldn't be viewed the same . And I understand your government not allowing etc . But during DCP hunting we have no caliber energy regulations .
    I'm also curious if the Berger 50 is stout enough to hold up for double lung pass thru shots.
    Sorry, my mistake!

I'm glad you have many larger rifles.

.22CF is not legal for Sika here.

Damage Control hunting is all about me blooding rifles I've not killed anything with in the past.
    I can see this as an attractive side benefit, but surely all hunting is about humane shots, which -to do you the justice you don't do yourself above- is presumably why you're asking about bullet performance in what most of us would consider unsuitable, or at best marginal, cartridges for deer.
    Last edited by Mr. Gain; 04-12-2013 at 08:59.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

Having had a 20cal I cannot sing their praises enough shooting vermin. The calibre is too small for deer in my opinion.