Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hare Recipes?

Hare Recipes?

On Saturday I went out for a quick look for hares with the .22. Looked across the field and there were about 15. We walked up pretty close as these hares havent been shot at before. 60 yards and I missed.... Next one pops over a rise 40 meters away. Safety off and down went the hare. Bottom of head/top of neck. Anyway, the point being I now have a jointed hare in the freezer and am looking for some tasty recipes. More than 1 welcome if you have them as I should be going out a fair bit until the season ends.

Cheers

Euan
    Last edited by Euan Tomes; 08-12-2013 at 12:45.

The absolute classic:

Jugged Hare

(2 generous portions)
    Ingredients

1 hare, skinned and gutted
    1 bottle of red wine (750ml)
    350ml beef stock
    2 bay leaves
    50g butter
    1 onion, diced
    2 sticks celery, sliced
    1 carrot, roughly diced
    4 garlic cloves, crushed
    1 teaspoon salt
    6 black peppercorns
    6 dried juniper berries
    generous sprig of thyme
    2 tsp cornflour

Method
    1. Joint the hare. I did this in a way that both diners would have one generous-sized thigh portion, and a smaller leg bone each. I then cut each side of the saddle into three large chunks, so they wouldn’t shrink too small during cooking and get lost in the gravy.

2. Marinade the hare in the red wine, beef stock and bay leaves for anywhere between 5 - 36 hours. If the hare isn’t fully-submerged, remember to turn it from time to time, so that it colours evenly.
    3. Heat the butter in a thick-based casserole dish (choose one which has a tightly-fitting lid). Remove the hare from the marinade, and brown it in the butter - long enough to colour the outside of the hare, but not so long that the meat starts to cook through. Remove the hare from the pan, and set to one side.
    4. If needed, add a little more butter to the casserole dish. Soften the onions and celery and carrots for 10 minutes. Add the garlic, and cook for a couple more minutes.
    5. Add most of the wine-stock mixture to the pan, keeping back 5 tablespoons for later. Bring it to a quick boil for two minutes.

6. Turn down the temperature, and now return the hare to the pan. While the hare is on a slow-simmer on the hob, grind the black pepper and juniper berries in a pestle and mortar, or dry spice grinder. Add to the pan, along with a teaspoon of salt and the sprig(s) of thyme, and they bay leaves from the marinade.
    7. Put the lid tightly on the casserole dish, and put it in the oven at 140C for three and a half hours.
    8. Add the cornflour to the 5 tablespoons of cool wine-stock mixture kept back, and stir. Remove the hare from the oven, and stir in the cornflour mixture, to thicken the sauce a little, and introduce a nice sheen. Serve.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

there is a big list off all sorts of receips including hare under the Receipts heading on forums put together by one of the members I will try and post a link to the thread as I have it saved and refer to it a lot.
    Regards sbm

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...e-a-look/page1 Basil from this site put this together

I hope this works sbm
    Last edited by seibassman7; 03-12-2013 at 23:11.

Put the hare into a large pan of boiling water then sit a curling stone on top of the hare to keep it on the bottom. Boil the pot for four days and throw the hare away and eat the curling stone.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    Put the hare into a large pan of boiling water then sit a curling stone on top of the hare to keep it on the bottom. Boil the pot for four days and throw the hare away and eat the curling stone.
    That made me laugh . I shoot a hare every year to eat im always sorry when I do , which ever way I cook it im always disappointed and feel its waste of the hare.

soak joints in salt water overnight , put in slow cooker along with veg ,dump in a sweet and sour ,or curry mix and leave it to do its own thing all day, then make some dumplings and drop them in for 1 hour , or make a suet crust

Ok this one i have cooked myself and seen cooked by friends in rural villages and when in Cyprus for the Hare/Partridge season will eat regularly, this will not disappoint rest assured.

Hare Stifado
    Ingredients:
    1 Hare roughly 3 kilos
    Wine vinegar
    3 kilos small onions
    1 1/2 mug of oil
    3 bay leaves
    6-8 corns of bachari
    6-8 corns black pepper
    800g ripped tomatoes peeled and grated
    3-4 cloves of garlic cut in half
    Salt and pepper to taste
    1 half Cinnamon stick
    Pinch of Oregano
    Ingredients for marinating:
    1/4 mug of wine vinegar
    4 bay leaves
    20 grains black pepper
    10 grains bachari
    5 cloves of garlic cut in half
    Method:
    Wash the Hare with plenty of water and then with vinegar.
    Cut the Hare in serving pieces.
    In a large bowl put all the ingredients for marinating and place all the pieces of Hare in it.
    Place the bowl in the fridge and let it marinate overnight.
    The next day, clean the onions and get ready to prepare your meal.
    In a casserole sauté the onions a few at a time, all over, remove and set aside.
    In the same oil sauté the pieces of Hare from all sides.
    Put through a sieve the marinated juice and pour it in the casserole with the Hare.
    Add salt and pepper to taste, bay leaves, garlic, bachari corns, pepper corns and tomatoes.
    Cover the casserole with the lid and simmer for about 15 minutes in Pressure cooker.
    Add the sautéed onions and simmer until the onions are soft and the sauce thickens.
    If the onions are cooked and the sauce doesn’t thicken, remove some sauce, boil it until it thickens and pour it back into the casserole.
    Remove the Hare pieces; place them in a platter and all around them the cooked onions.
    With a deep spoon, pour some of the sauce over the Hare and onions and serve hot.
    Lagos Stifatho (Hare Stew With Onions) can be a meal all on it’s own or it can be accompanied with mash potatoes, roasted potatoes or anything else you prefer.
    Whatever is left, if there is anything left, place it in the fridge. Great the next day as with all stews.
    this works equally well with Rabbit

P.S. Would be great to receive any offer to shoot a few Hares this year willing to travel & bring a nice bottle of Single Malt in return..
    atb
    Last edited by rick6point5; 04-12-2013 at 00:05.

Regular Poster
    Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall has one with dark chocolate mixed in with the reduced blood sauce which was very good - if you're interested and can't find it on the net let me know and I'll dig it out but the ones above look good.

I absolutely love hare, but no-one else in my family apart from my mother does, and they're rather a large beast for just two people to eat. I'd love to shoot one too, but I've never had the opportunity. Anyway, I thought I'd include this recipe for "Lievre a la royale", reputedly invented for Louis XIV who loved game, but had lost all his teeth. It is an insane recipe, and it's in French, but it starts by boning the hare in one piece, taking care not to pierce the skin. I think you need to make sure that you start with half a dozen hares that have died of heart attacks to give yourself a chance of doing this successfully on one of them.
    Attachment 35385

Quote Originally Posted by seibassman7 View Post
    there is a big list off all sorts of receips including hare under the Receipts heading on forums put together by one of the members I will try and post a link to the thread as I have it saved and refer to it a lot.
    Regards sbm

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...e-a-look/page1 Basil from this site put this together

I hope this works sbm
    http://www.1245.forumotion.net
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.