Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: The future

  1. #1

    The future

    Am interested to know what folks think about the future of stalking. We are a small island with a rapidly increasing population. We are lucky to have several species of deer that seem to be increasing in number too. But stalking appears to be growing in popularity beyond the ability of the sport to embrace these new entrants. This will lead to prices going up, and to 'stalking' becoming merely sitting in high seats.

    Where are we going?

  2. #2
    IMHO the answer is downhill fast with the influx of migrants from the EU & other countries deer will be seen & taken as a food source, we have already seen it with prized carp in angling lakes being wiped out by eastern Europeans for food ans the police are unwilling or unable to control or stop it & the same will happen to deer I already see Russians & Polls with bull greyhounds running down deer at night with dogs & the police are just not interested one officer told me they are discouraged from taking migrants into custody because of the costs involved & the unlikelyness of them answering bail & being traced or charged so it is seen as a waste of resources, so the future isn't looking good if you ask me!
    The few places that are keepered full time will survive but that will inevitably drive costs up.
    LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE & PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!

  3. #3
    An interesting question that could as equally be applied to other fieldsports. A lot will depend on politicians (scary). Whether green belt building becomes widespread, whether immigration controls become effective and of course any laws that may be passed restricting shooting sports in one way or another. Things that may happen that are totally unforeseen could have a bearing too. The most recent shooting related horror stories in the UK, involving Raul Moat and Derrick Bird brought reasonable and proportionate responses from government, but if there's too many more, or the government changes, things could be different.

    My personal view, all things being equal, is that things will continue along much as they have. There will be poor times and better times, but mostly things will carry on as they have for the last century and more.

    It's interesting to note that killing things in general and in particularly if you enjoy it is widely condemned in many circles yet, as the OP says, there's always a steady stream of newcomers to shooting. I wonder what would happen if the idea of shooting for food became much more PC in the future. Would we then be totally inundated with people wanting to have firearms and go stalking?

  4. #4
    i think the deer will suffer for it , we have already seen a drop in quality of fallow bucks , all the big master bucks are gone , the problem being fallow roam over such large areas that everyone shoots "just one for the wall" and with more and more stalkers in the country the bucks arent getting to a mature age . Roe will be next , we see posts on here about a nice buck being seen and replys like "shoot him before your neghbours do" or "take him out , his genes are already in the pool" . Shooting any buck is like felling a tree , easy done but your along time waiting for the replacement to grow . With does , far too many are shot too early , with roe the kids need their mother right through winter to show them the way through the lean months . Next are the cash shooters , taking ever animal they can to sell to the dealer . Lets all just ease up on the bucks , do you really need another trophy or a medal ?

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by CWMMAN3738 View Post
    IMHO the answer is downhill fast with the influx of migrants from the EU & other countries deer will be seen & taken as a food source, we have already seen it with prized carp in angling lakes being wiped out by eastern Europeans for food ans the police are unwilling or unable to control or stop it & the same will happen to deer I already see Russians & Polls with bull greyhounds running down deer at night with dogs & the police are just not interested one officer told me they are discouraged from taking migrants into custody because of the costs involved & the unlikelyness of them answering bail & being traced or charged so it is seen as a waste of resources, so the future isn't looking good if you ask me!
    The few places that are keepered full time will survive but that will inevitably drive costs up.
    Are you serious turning this into an immigration thread?

  6. #6
    SD Regular teyhan1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Posts
    2,330
    Blog Entries
    1
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    I worry for the deer in the future.
    There seems to be more and more people entering the sport of deer stalking.
    Stalking leases have become steadily more expensive and people wanted bang for their buck. On top of this stalking is often gained through knowing someone and is free. These two tallied together make for difficult conditions for deer. Add on to this that stalkers jealously guard the whereabouts of their ground and do not liase with their neighbours, compounds the problem even further. Then factor in the unrestricted nature of shooting sports, (inasmuch as you there are no bag limits) and we have a recipe for disaster.
    Example
    Neighbour A pays a lot for his ground and knows that neighbour B and C also shoot. He wants to see some sort of return on his money so shoots away, guessing what his cull figure should be, as he will not speak to either neighbours and therefore has no clue as to what they shoot.
    Neighbour B gets his land for free. He shoots a few as the landowner likes to see them but doesn't want too many. He makes a few quid as he sells them to the gamedealer. He doesn't tell anybody about his land for fear it will get taken off of him by someone with money.
    Neighbour C hates them and shoots them himself on sight. He also takes them to the gamedealer.
    I forgot Neighbour D. He's a bunnyhugger

    Neighbour A an C are shooting hell out of the deer population. Neighbour B kicks the bloke off his land as he thinks he's shot too many and the deer are reduced to a mess of nocturnal jumpy poacher fodder.
    Neighbour D just sits in the corner and cries

    Ask our Danish friends what shooting is like over there. It'll scare the hell out of you.

    And yes the above is happening. Thankfully not to me.
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

  7. #7
    most bullx lurchers come from tuther side of the severn , and one of the latest tricks when challenged seems to be to reply "polski" and keep walking

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by teyhan1 View Post
    I worry for the deer in the future.
    There seems to be more and more people entering the sport of deer stalking.
    Stalking leases have become steadily more expensive and people wanted bang for their buck. On top of this stalking is often gained through knowing someone and is free. These two tallied together make for difficult conditions for deer. Add on to this that stalkers jealously guard the whereabouts of their ground and do not liase with their neighbours, compounds the problem even further. Then factor in the unrestricted nature of shooting sports, (inasmuch as you there are no bag limits) and we have a recipe for disaster.
    Example
    Neighbour A pays a lot for his ground and knows that neighbour B and C also shoot. He wants to see some sort of return on his money so shoots away, guessing what his cull figure should be, as he will not speak to either neighbours and therefore has no clue as to what they shoot.
    Neighbour B gets his land for free. He shoots a few as the landowner likes to see them but doesn't want too many. He makes a few quid as he sells them to the gamedealer. He doesn't tell anybody about his land for fear it will get taken off of him by someone with money.
    Neighbour C hates them and shoots them himself on sight. He also takes them to the gamedealer.
    I forgot Neighbour D. He's a bunnyhugger

    Neighbour A an C are shooting hell out of the deer population. Neighbour B kicks the bloke off his land as he thinks he's shot too many and the deer are reduced to a mess of nocturnal jumpy poacher fodder.
    Neighbour D just sits in the corner and cries

    Ask our Danish friends what shooting is like over there. It'll scare the hell out of you.

    And yes the above is happening. Thankfully not to me.


    i think the deer will suffer for it , we have already seen a drop in quality of fallow bucks , all the big master bucks are gone , the problem being fallow roam over such large areas that everyone shoots "just one for the wall" and with more and more stalkers in the country the bucks arent getting to a mature age . Roe will be next , we see posts on here about a nice buck being seen and replys like "shoot him before your neghbours do" or "take him out , his genes are already in the pool" . Shooting any buck is like felling a tree , easy done but your along time waiting for the replacement to grow . With does , far too many are shot too early , with roe the kids need their mother right through winter to show them the way through the lean months . Next are the cash shooters , taking ever animal they can to sell to the dealer . Lets all just ease up on the bucks , do you really need another trophy or a medal ?



    Absolutely 100% correct .. glad there`s some others that agree I`ve been banging on about this for years

    Bob

  9. #9
    Absolutely 100% correct .. glad there`s some others that agree I`ve been banging on about this for years

    Bob[/QUOTE] I bet alot will agree until he steps out , and then its "well , its only one" . By the time most blokes have grown out of it the damage is done

  10. #10
    I agree but also a problem up north & on one of my permissions & several in that area in Devon, recently someone I know lost one of their permissions to some Russians they had previously taken on there as clients, it is now their permission!
    Quote Originally Posted by trouble View Post
    most bullx lurchers come from tuther side of the severn , and one of the latest tricks when challenged seems to be to reply "polski" and keep walking
    The polski answer is common & has taken the stocks from many corse fisheries in latter years, & I see the same thing happening with deer.
    Last edited by CWMMAN3738; 04-12-2013 at 00:12.
    LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE & PREVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE!

Similar Threads

  1. Scotland's future
    By Tamus in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-12-2012, 01:08
  2. Binos of the future?
    By moses in forum Equipment & Accessories
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 29-08-2011, 14:38
  3. More hurdles in the future?
    By finnbear270 in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 29-07-2010, 09:07
  4. The future of the 243.
    By basil in forum Rifles & Calibres
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 21-06-2010, 09:00
  5. Can we influence the future?
    By Bob in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 24-12-2009, 13:27

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •