Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: which 308?

which 308?

hi all, my son in law has just come back from afgan and is looking at getting a 308 for deer and to use on his army range,he is a snipper so does know abit about shooting.would like to get some idea as to what gun would meet his needs to do both jobs.he wants to use a schmidt and bender scope say a 4x16x50 mildot may run to second hand pm11 depends on how much the gun costs 3500 is his buget.he want to stay with a s&b as thats what he uses and has all his data for.had thought may be a sako 85,but has heard they are not what they used to be true or false who knows, some one saide pond for pound a howa 1500 is a up and comeing rifle now the triger and bolt have been improved,would be glad of any ideas you all may have.dont want him to waste his money on a gun the will not do the job.many thanks all

Sako 85 does me fine, so I bought 3, none have missed a beat and are sub MOA.

If he can't run to an AI then an aics kit and a remmy might work for him?
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Howa all day, they are superb rifles and he has a good budget for a semi custom rig that won't break the bank. For me, Howa action, hand lapped threaded Bergara barrel, bedded B&C stock or Boyds, picatinny rail and rings, trigger tuned.

I had a Sako 75 varmint laminate stainless in .308 with a PMii on top that was the set up i had for precisely what he is planning,it was very good to!!!!!

Or a Sako TRG21 or 22. Really accurate sub 1/2 minute, 10 round mag, a superb trigger and a squaddie shouldn't have any trouble carrying it as it's lighter than an AI
    Last edited by long_range_rob; 04-12-2013 at 21:12.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not using it in a fruit salad.

Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they never get it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by shippers View Post
    hi all, my son in law has just come back from afgan and is looking at getting a 308 for deer and to use on his army range,he is a snipper so does know abit about shooting.would like to get some idea as to what gun would meet his needs to do both jobs.he wants to use a schmidt and bender scope say a 4x16x50 mildot may run to second hand pm11 depends on how much the gun costs 3500 is his buget.he want to stay with a s&b as thats what he uses and has all his data for.had thought may be a sako 85,but has heard they are not what they used to be true or false who knows, some one saide pond for pound a howa 1500 is a up and comeing rifle now the triger and bolt have been improved,would be glad of any ideas you all may have.dont want him to waste his money on a gun the will not do the job.many thanks all

Out of interest, how does he plan on using it on the army ranges ?
    I'd chat with the CO if I were him to see if he will clear it for him to take his own kit onto a range, it's not just a case of 'take it along and use it', and he won't be able to use 'army ranges' as 'good reason' either, unless, his CO is happy to just 'barrage' through all the red tape and 'to hell with it'.
    oh, and technically, he wouldn't be able to use 'as issued' ammo either

But, good luck to him, he might have an awesome CO

Pete
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

For that money I'd be going semi custom build, Sako 75 action, then the barrel of your choice fitted by a good smith.

"he is a snipper so does know abit about shooting"

Our barber doesn't know much about shooting.

Slip of the trigger finger on the keyboard there perhaps shippers? As tramp says above I don't think that it will be quite as easy as you or he thinks for him to use his own rifle on a M.O.D. range. In fact a few friends in the forces have told me that it was much easier to forget about the army/RAF and to join civilian clubs if they wanted to shoot but perhaps times have changed.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Might be a good idea to talk to Redmist from this sight or Brock & Norris. They might even have something that suits. Would also have a good idea of what is available for the budget ...top or flop.
    edi