Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which reloading equipment for someone new to reloading

Which reloading equipment for someone new to reloading

Hi,

I have just recently got my FAC and would like to look at reloading for my C fire rifle. Question is what's considered the best brand in the available equipment. I will be going for a simple entry level set up. Any recommendations.

Cheers

Steve

Time to get out the popcorn, sit back and watch the thread

Seriously though, RCBS, Lyman, Hornady and Dillon are regarded as the "better" brands and Lee as a cheaper alternative. That said, many, many thousands of people (myself included) have been producing high quality ammunition on Lee gear for decades!.

The cheapest and simplest option would be a Lee Loader, it's a single tool that can produce very good ammunition and if you're only using a few rounds a week will do everything you need.

If you're looking at target shooting or using more than a few rounds a week a press would be the next choice, again it doesn't have to be a top of the line all singing and dancing one, a simple single stage press will do everything you need, just add a powder measure and a set of decent scales.

Best option is to find someone who knows what they are doing and have them show you the various methods, there's no magic to it just plain common sense and the ability to read instructions!. If you're anywhere near Durham you're more than welcome to take a look at my gear and see how it all works
    There's room for all Gods creatures ........... right next to the mash and gravy

as above rerally it depends on your type of shooting

ive sent you a pm with a contact number if you want to have a chat about your options

atb mark
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

Thanks for the reply guys and PM replied to. I wont be needing to reload large quantities and I'm only looking at two calibres so should be straight forward enough.

pm back at ya

I have used a Lee Loader for hundreds of rounds and have never found any issues with it, its cheap, cheerful and easy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyblacksmith View Post
    I have used a Lee Loader for hundreds of rounds and have never found any issues with it, its cheap, cheerful and easy to use.
    +1 . I use Lee Loaders for .223 and .308 get damn fine ammo out of them.

nothing wrong with lee but it does depend on how you define good ammo

- 1" group at 100 yards or 6 " group at a 1000 yards

Quote Originally Posted by 1967spud View Post
    nothing wrong with lee but it does depend on how you define good ammo

- 1" group at 100 yards or 6 " group at a 1000 yards
    Squeak, are you saying that accurate 1kyd ammo cannot be built with Lee gear or you just bsing to get a better sales margin?
    Probably a rhetorical question at the end of the day...

not at all joe lee gear can produce 1000 yard ammo when its needed for target etc but there are in my eyes better dies out there i.e. redding hornady dillon rcbs wilson etc

its pretty much horses for courses

lee dies are built to cover the budget end of the market, a job i might say that they do very very well and they produce good ammo as they are designed to do for that budget