Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High seats and wind direction question

High seats and wind direction question

Does the prevailing wind direction affect shooting deer from high seats all that much?

I have been given permission to place one in a cracking spot overlooking a plantation on my permission but the location is dictated by a nearby road. The only place it can go to ensure safe shots in the right direction means the prevailing wind will be the wrong way. It will be ideal to stalk to the seat though so not all bad!!

Cheers

Stratts
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

I think Germany (at least the area I am in) is the high seat capitol of the world and there don't seem to be a lot of thought being put in to where the wind is coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    Does the prevailing wind direction affect shooting deer from high seats all that much?

I have been given permission to place one in a cracking spot overlooking a plantation on my permission but the location is dictated by a nearby road. The only place it can go to ensure safe shots in the right direction means the prevailing wind will be the wrong way. It will be ideal to stalk to the seat though so not all bad!!

Cheers

Stratts
    Stratts
    you won`t know for sure until you try it, but, If it`s 10ft off the ground and has some cover round it not just stuck up side of a tree sticking out like a boil on your arse then you can probably bet that it will be ok

The other things to take into consideration are sun rise and sunset? morning seat or evening seat? you don`t want to be sat in a seat on a morning where the sun comes up and blinds you, and visa- versa in the evening

Better a safe position than a "not sure position" never compromise on safety, no matter how tempting it may be, and think on, the wind won`t blow that way every day but the sun don`t change much with it`s habits

Hope you have some success, let us know how you get on

Bob

Good point about the sun mate thanks it would be pointing NE so shouldn't be too bad in the morning but better suited for evenings I guess. It will be tucked into a corner with plenty of cover either side and good cover behind with a tree line about 15 yards away which should stop it from being silhoueted (sp?!)

I will be building it from treated timber so should blend in nicely and will get pics, etc, up when it's complete,

Cheers
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

Quote Originally Posted by bobg757 View Post
    you won`t know for sure until you try it, but, If it`s 10ft off the ground and has some cover round it not just stuck up side of a tree sticking out like a boil on your arse then you can probably bet that it will be ok

The other things to take into consideration are sun rise and sunset? morning seat or evening seat? you don`t want to be sat in a seat on a morning where the sun comes up and blinds you, and visa- versa in the evening

Better a safe position than a "not sure position" never compromise on safety, no matter how tempting it may be, and think on, the wind won`t blow that way every day but the sun don`t change much with it`s habits.
    +1 First-rate advice, Bob.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

I have a similar corner on a piece of ground that the high seat would have to be at the wrong side off prevailing wind.

I have always thought of ur scent being similar to a smoke coming out a chimney (minus the heat so won't rise) will it not stil be carried down wind anyway possibly only alerting deer further away? (And i realise will be different everywhere from day to day due to small eddies, thermals etc)

I'm assuming a lot off the seats in germany are fully enclosed? (Or atleast they are in the photo's i've seen) That should help keep ur scent in i'd imagine.

Seriously consider a metal ladder stand. Buy the largest you can afford. When you consider materials, cost, weight and most importantly YOUR SAFETY, it's worth the price. My best friend broke his neck falling from our homemade stand. Metal ladder stands can be easily taken down and repositioned. I like the 17 foot ladders. They usually come with a fabric skirt that really works. A large buck in rut will be smelling something far more interesting to him than you. One of our rules: the wind will change.

Quote Originally Posted by countrryboy View Post
    I have a similar corner on a piece of ground that the high seat would have to be at the wrong side off prevailing wind.

I have always thought of ur scent being similar to a smoke coming out a chimney (minus the heat so won't rise) will it not stil be carried down wind anyway possibly only alerting deer further away? (And i realise will be different everywhere from day to day due to small eddies, thermals etc)

I'm assuming a lot off the seats in germany are fully enclosed? (Or atleast they are in the photo's i've seen) That should help keep ur scent in i'd imagine.
    Not necessarily...... This area, you see more open than closed.... Doesn't really matter about air and scent because there are access trails and roads everywhere and bicyclists, walkers, and joggers are a everywhere. Sure an animal will learn to associate scent with gunshots in a certain area after a while, but it's up to the responsible hunter to see that they don't live to make that association (means drop them in their tracks clean and don't take wild shots that they aren't sure of that will wound and spook everything in the area)...

Quote Originally Posted by frdrck View Post
    Seriously consider a metal ladder stand. Buy the largest you can afford. When you consider materials, cost, weight and most importantly YOUR SAFETY, it's worth the price. My best friend broke his neck falling from our homemade stand. Metal ladder stands can be easily taken down and repositioned. I like the 17 foot ladders. They usually come with a fabric skirt that really works. A large buck in rut will be smelling something far more interesting to him than you. One of our rules: the wind will change.
    Not real common (read non existant) here, at least in my area. Most seats are maintained good, but even the best are privy to vandals sawing the steps half thru and to rot... I was sent to a stand last weekend (in a state forest drive hunt where we drew numbers (seats) from a hat. Next to the last step (top) had been cut from the back side. I shifted my weight to put my rucksack in the blind and ended up busting thru 3 steps and landing on my back with rifle beside me... Thick matress of leaves and sense enough not to climb with a loaded or slung gun is the only thing that saved me.

Any chance you could post a link to what you are suggesting?

Thanks, Dave

Looks like someone's on the right track.....

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...st-impressions