Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: advice on a lathe and milling machine

advice on a lathe and milling machine

Hi guys and girls what machine s do tou guys have and use im looking into buy some all advice greatly acceped
    They will be used but not heverly abused cheers for your help

a myford with a vertical slide is a handy tool i used one for years it now lives under a bench unused as i now have a 18 ins churchill gap bed lathe,i do fancy turning up a cannon , so it depends what you intend making

Just don't get a clarke one because they have so much slack you won't believe it.

I use a 1974 Colchester Chipmaster and a Boxford VM30 milling machine from the '80s.

Both rock solid, British iron and cost me less than the new China/Taiwan built stuff.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

colchester student -- spot on . bridgeport will do all your milling jobs.

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
    Adolph Hitler 1933

Might help people to help you if they know what you are intending to use them for.

The Myford is a very good small lathe, pricey though and limited in capacity, Bridgeports also command quite high prices. So tell them what you aiming on doing and perhaps they can help better with the advice.

I run a Harrison M300 and a Colchester Bantum, but I've retro fitted a bigger spindle bore to accommodate larger dia barrels and actions. The beauty of this machine is the 18" head stock I now have. Perfick!

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Might help people to help you if they know what you are intending to use them for.

The Myford is a very good small lathe, pricey though and limited in capacity, Bridgeports also command quite high prices. So tell them what you aiming on doing and perhaps they can help better with the advice.
    Fair point brithunter ill use them mainly for deactivating guns and mak8ng firing pins maybe the odd barrel chop and scew cut

Quote Originally Posted by adrian0100 View Post
    Fair point brithunter ill use them mainly for deactivating guns and mak8ng firing pins maybe the odd barrel chop and scew cut
    Then I would suggest something like the Colchester Student 6" for a lathe. No need to go bigger and be aware they are heavy buggers. Other similar size machines from known makers would suit.

For the mill it may be a bit more fiddly for some jobs but a smallish horitzontal mill would do what you need with a stub arbor and Clarkson auto-lock or similar to fit the taper of the nose. This will keep the room it takes up down and probably the cost too. Of course you will end up spending more probably on tooling than the machines cost you but that's how it goes I am sorry to say.

Just suggestions you understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Then I would suggest something like the Colchester Student 6" for a lathe. No need to go bigger and be aware they are heavy buggers. Other similar size machines from known makers would suit.

For the mill it may be a bit more fiddly for some jobs but a smallish horitzontal mill would do what you need with a stub arbor and Clarkson auto-lock or similar to fit the taper of the nose. This will keep the room it takes up down and probably the cost too. Of course you will end up spending more probably on tooling than the machines cost you but that's how it goes I am sorry to say.

Just suggestions you understand.
    Thank you I shall look into all suggestions