Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tail docking

tail docking

hi as tail docking for working dogs is banned in scotland what are the rules on taking my bitch and pups over the border should i take a litter from her to get them docked ?? and what/if vets will do it just the other side of the border for me??

From what I understand the answer is no. I expect some more experianced guys on here will know the full regulations.

Against the law.

Animal Health and Welfare (Scotland) Act 2006:
    Section 20
    (3)A person commits an offence if the person takes a protected animal, or causes a protected animal to be taken, from a place in Scotland for the purpose of having a prohibited procedure carried out on the animal at a place outwith Scotland.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

Thought this was a no no no...

You'd need a lawyers interpretation but I believe this is why a number of bitches come to England to have their puppies............

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

I know folk who have done this. The loophole is that the bitch must whelp in England and her pups docked there. I also think the paperwork must show that the bitch is registered through the KC to that address as well. All of those restrictions are easily overcome with the assistance of a friend who stays there and a local vet who agrees that the pups will be working dogs and is in favour of tail docking, obviously. Happy to be corrected on any of those points. It makes a whole farce of the legislation which is virtually unmanageable and suggests its cruel in Scotland but not in England????

De-budding and de-balling of young bullocks, rubber bands on lambs tails and so on all still practiced, but no docking of a 3-4 day old pups tail???? Yet the dew claws can still be cut off which having assisted my vet with a litter a few years ago, causes more of a yelp than the tail ever did.

One of the most ridiculous decisions ever made to effect shooters/working dog owners in my opinion...

Cheers guy's.

Jamross in total agreement with you. Having seen a friends Springer that was unlocked then had to get dock as the tail was damaged. it's a crazy law

Not correcting you Jamross, but the KC registration document asks for the "breeders" name and address and then the notes say that you must sign as confirmation that the pups were born at the address you note. If you get a mate to whelp them in England then by definition you would need to put the English address in this section.

By doing so though, that is surely conflicting with your kennel club kennel's name's registered address.

I assume that as the docking certificate is the legal document then you would have the English address on it, whereas the KC registration is simply a "club" membership so is less of an issue if the place of birth is incorrect??

I agree though, the most ridiculous of laws!!

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    I know folk who have done this. The loophole is that the bitch must whelp in England and her pups docked there. I also think the paperwork must show that the bitch is registered through the KC to that address as well. All of those restrictions are easily overcome with the assistance of a friend who stays there and a local vet who agrees that the pups will be working dogs and is in favour of tail docking, obviously. Happy to be corrected on any of those points.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickeydredd View Post
    Not correcting you Jamross, but the KC registration document asks for the "breeders" name and address and then the notes say that you must sign as confirmation that the pups were born at the address you note. If you get a mate to whelp them in England then by definition you would need to put the English address in this section.

By doing so though, that is surely conflicting with your kennel club kennel's name's registered address.

I assume that as the docking certificate is the legal document then you would have the English address on it, whereas the KC registration is simply a "club" membership so is less of an issue if the place of birth is incorrect??

I agree though, the most ridiculous of laws!!
    No, your likely correct and that is what I was getting at with suggesting the address for registration had to be in England. I wasn't aware of the exact wording or the pice of documentation to reflect that address but knew it referred to an address south of the border.

Thanks for for pointing that out.