Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FAC Advice please!

FAC Advice please!

I'm thinking of applying for my Firearms/Shotgun certificate soon and have a few questions...
    1. I am 16 and no one in my household currently holds either of these (dads expired nearly a decade ago and he didnt renew them because he got a different job). Will this affect my application?
    2. Do I need to go to the police station to get a form and talk to them?
    3. We still have my dads gun cabinet, but up until I'm 18 I dont think i will be getting my own rifles/shotguns,I will use borrowed ones. When I do get my own will the gun cabinet have to be bolted to a brick wall or is any wall ok?
    4. I have someone who is willing to be a reference for me and let me use their guns on their ground, but I would also be using other guns on other ground if this is allowed?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Euan

You need to phone your constabularies licening bureau for information. They can send forms out and advise.
    There is advice on the BASC web site under firearms application forms to guide you on filling out the FAC and SG forms, question by question.
    I thought you had to be 18 to apply for a FAC or under 18 with supervision.

A person over the age of 18 may be granted an FAC and may then buy firearms and ammunition as authorised by the certificate. An FAC may also be granted to a person between 14 and 18, but this will only authorise the possession of the firearms specified thereon - it will not authorise the purchase of firearms or ammunition. FACs are not granted to anyone under the age of 14.

From the Marple Rifle and Pistol Club website

Quote Originally Posted by perdix View Post
    A person over the age of 18 may be granted an FAC and may then buy firearms and ammunition as authorised by the certificate. An FAC may also be granted to a person between 14 and 18, but this will only authorise the possession of the firearms specified thereon - it will not authorise the purchase of firearms or ammunition. FACs are not granted to anyone under the age of 14.

From the Marple Rifle and Pistol Club website

SGC are granted to any one of any age (i had mine when I was 12)
    If I remember rightly at 14 you can not buy a shotgun or ammunition but you can be given one.

Sounds right Scubadog.
    I was loading for a youngster a couple of weeks ago and he had his own SGC but we had to sort the ammo for him

You will have to get your own rifles as you cannot borrow one till your 17 under the estate rule which if your old enough to be using you don't need licence
    You will only be able to shoot rifles that are entered on your FAC these may belong to someone else and on their FAC as well or be your rifles gifted to you

You can download the forms and no point going to a police station they won't know. You need to contact the Firearms licencing office and speak to an FEO these are the people who process applications do the interviews and recommend you for an FAC.
    Last edited by FGYT; 18-05-2017 at 19:46.

This thread is old the lad will be in his 20s now

Quote Originally Posted by shakey jake View Post
    This thread is old the lad will be in his 20s now
    he will indeed!

He posted 5 days ago

Ian.