Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CZ 452 vs 455 any thoughts?

CZ 452 vs 455 any thoughts?

Any feedback before I go and buy a new bolt action rimfire. Im thinking of a 452 but not sure if I should go for the 455. I have heard mixed reports. Feedback please

Buy one second hand, plenty about. Even some pretty newish 455's with the laminate stocks if that's your thing. I've a 452 (hmr) and it's a work horse, I wrapped it in a camo it vinyl kit and it had a trigger kit fitted when I bought it, it's ideal and does what it says on the tin.

Can't fault my 452, though it's not as refined as the Anschutz 1417 I own in .22lr.

I have a 452, its awesome.

Hiya,
    I have a cz 452 in .22 lr..fantastic rifle,put thousands of rounds through her over the last few years,still as accurate as I can be,never ever let me down,used in all weather's.the one rifle in my cabinet that I will never part with,
    I did have the 452 in .17 hmr,that went the journey,nothing wrong with the rifle,just a (imho) **** round and crap ammo,,also have a cz 527 in .223,bit of a trend here I think,
    so plus one for the 452,cant say anything about the 455,dont have one or ever used a one
    oki doki,
    Ian

I have a 452 in 22 and a 455 in 17. The 455 has the laminate thumbhole, the 452 a standard stock. Both varmint barrels.

As for the actions, personally there is bugger all in it. Both have fired 1000s of rounds with no issues.

I like the thumbhole on the 17, it makes the gun heavier (more stable in my hold) and the thumbhole helps with one handed control of the rifle when driving or using a lamp/binos/call etc. Although you can get the 452 in the TH I seem to remember.

Whichever you go for you won't be disappointed, if you were closer you would have been welcome to try mine.

i have a 452 american in 17hmr very good little rifle nice and short for in the land rover perfect vermin gun put a trigger kit on it and that is it

I had a 452 in 17 HMR, i now have a 455 in the same both with walnut stocks and 20" varmint barrels.
    Accuracy wise there is nothing in it both capable of dropping 5 shots in around the half inch mark (once the favoured ammo has been found) @ 100yds.

Build wise they are worlds apart the 452 being of slightly higher quality although the 455 is a more conventional from a bedding point of veiw.
    The 452 had a forged reciever with a two lug bolt and a screwed in straight taper barrel, the 455s rerciever is machined from a billet and is fitted with a slide in interchangable barrel retained by two angled socket head screws.

On a good point the 455 action has done away with the strange slotted round toggle under the rear tang, for a more usual straight through the stock into the action bolt, much better if you are considering bedding your rifle.
    The barrel is now a thicker heavier parallel affair not quite as finely finished as the barrel on the 452 and two fat for me to use my previous over barrel mod.

Both are excellent rifle and if you are looking at all out accuract either will suffice but if you are looking for a little more elegance the 452 is the way to go
    Last edited by Whitebeard; 11-12-2013 at 23:29.

I wanted to get the 452 when I bought my rimfire, but couldn't find a new one, so went with a 455 instead.

It is perfectly adequate, and I don't think I'll be changing it - though it's not really a rifle I'm in love with.

It had a few problems to start, which I've either ironed out or learned to live with:

1. The bolt was VERY gritty to start with. That has improved with use, but it will never be slick.
    2. The trigger has quite a lot of creep in it.
    3. The barrel is only free floating if the front action screw is not tightened properly. Essentially, you are faced with a choice: leave the action with a small amount of play and keep a floated barrel; tighten the action, and have the barrel pressing against the stock at the front end; or go spend some money on bedding etc. I did some experiments with various configurations, and discovered that fully tightening the action and causing the barrel to press against the front of the stock produces perfectly adequate groups (1in at 50m; 2.5in at 100m). That's good enough for practical bunnying, though it does bother me a little when I think about it. Not enough to warrant spending anything, though.

I regard it as an acceptable tool - and one that I'm not worried about getting wet, mucky and generally abused. Which, I suppose, is all you can ask for in a bunny rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    I wanted to get the 452 when I bought my rimfire, but couldn't find a new one, so went with a 455 instead.

It is perfectly adequate, and I don't think I'll be changing it - though it's not really a rifle I'm in love with.

It had a few problems to start, which I've either ironed out or learned to live with:

1. The bolt was VERY gritty to start with. That has improved with use, but it will never be slick.
    2. The trigger has quite a lot of creep in it.
    3. The barrel is only free floating if the front action screw is not tightened properly. Essentially, you are faced with a choice: leave the action with a small amount of play and keep a floated barrel; tighten the action, and have the barrel pressing against the stock at the front end; or go spend some money on bedding etc. I did some experiments with various configurations, and discovered that fully tightening the action and causing the barrel to press against the front of the stock produces perfectly adequate groups (1in at 50m; 2.5in at 100m). That's good enough for practical bunnying, though it does bother me a little when I think about it. Not enough to warrant spending anything, though.

I regard it as an acceptable tool - and one that I'm not worried about getting wet, mucky and generally abused. Which, I suppose, is all you can ask for in a bunny rifle.
    The issues you're putting up with are really easy to deal with -
    1. The bolt will wear in over time - if you can't wait sit & cycle the bolt whilst watching TV for a few nights.
    2. Can easily be sorted with a Yodave trigger kit off Ebay
    3. Again easily sorted for free - just put some sandpaper around your thumb & sand out the barrel channel

You'll soon be shooting sub 1" groups !!

Quote Originally Posted by V8 90 View Post
    The issues you're putting up with are really easy to deal with -
    1. The bolt will wear in over time - if you can't wait sit & cycle the bolt whilst watching TV for a few nights.
    2. Can easily be sorted with a Yodave trigger kit off Ebay
    3. Again easily sorted for free - just put some sandpaper around your thumb & sand out the barrel channel

You'll soon be shooting sub 1" groups !!
    I had the same dreadful gritty bolt operation and i could not wait so i identified the rough machined areas of the cocking piece and the top of the sear and polished them with fine stone.
    A Yodave trigger kit was ordered immediately and only the spring replaced.
    I had no probelms with the freefloat.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17_HMR_Targets_005.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	52.4 KB 
ID:	35628

Need i say more

Ian.