Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sako 85 Synthetic/Stainless

Sako 85 Synthetic/Stainless

I own a Sako 85 Synthetic/Stainless .270 calibre rifle, bought new circa 2010 from the Glenluce Gunroom, Dumfries and Galloway. I am more than pleased with how the rifle performs and it has accounted for a good number of roe, red, fallow and fox. Recently the rubber has started to perish and blister on the stock and fore-end, resulting in an area 'peeling', revealing the laminate beneath.

The main areas involved were where the user's cheek and chin would be in contact with the stock and where the hand would grip the fore-end.

Having never used or permitted any chemicals anywhere near the rifle and always ensuring that it was correctly dried following use when wet, (and also my lack of use of aftershaves or moisturising products ahem!) both myself and Stewart Stirling, Glenluce Gunroom were baffled and surprised that the synthetic finish would behave in such a manner, having never seen the likes before.

The result of such blistering and peeling of the rubber finish exposed the 'shiny' laminate beneath which greatly reduced the overall tactile grip of the rubber, and ultimately the security of the rifle when handling same.

I can only commend and congratulate Glenluce Gunroom and GMK for their overall quality of service, with GMK professionally replacing the stock of my rifle without problem, in no more than two weeks.

I post this thread for the information of other members who may have experienced a similar defect with the finish of the Sako 85 Synthetic, or can give an explanation as to the cause of same.

Do you use any midge repellent products? Coming from Galloway I would guess you do. Certain products of that nature have a nasty effect on rubber and plastics....

Mmmmm. Now you have me thinking, I am in the habit of occasionally using repellent but not all the time, and I did have a number of Galloway midge ridden stalks during the roe buck season this year, that can reduce a man to tears.

Food for thought, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    Do you use any midge repellent products? Coming from Galloway I would guess you do. Certain products of that nature have a nasty effect on rubber and plastics....
    +1, Have a look at the steering wheels of Discovery 3's owned by any fly fishermen that you know,
    DCG

Quote Originally Posted by john jamieson View Post
    Mmmmm. Now you have me thinking, I am in the habit of occasionally using repellent but not all the time, and I did have a number of Galloway midge ridden stalks during the roe buck season this year, that can reduce a man to tears.

Food for thought, thanks.

Sounds like your rifle has suffered the effects of "Deet" attack!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DCG View Post
    +1, Have a look at the steering wheels of Discovery 3's owned by any fly fishermen that you know,
    DCG
    My mate had the whole dash board of his four track 'lift' at one end after spilling a bottle of the original Shoo on it! That made us wonder what it did to our skin! Better that mind than being eaten alive I suppose....

The army had similar problems some years ago with jungle formula and their rifle stocks. Makes you wonder about some of these insect repellents doesn't it.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

As many will attest, deet based products will happily eat away the gridlines on a compass or melt a plastic mapcase. Best not to think about what it does to your skin... (To which end I use Smidge these days - seems to do the job).

I know some guys in the states who had the same problem with their stocks and DEET. Anything over 50% is caustic, and that 100% jungle juice is probably carcinogenic. Maybe you Brits just got more powerful perspiration over here; I mean James Bond did kill a guy with his urine.

Maybe Try:
    1) Permethrin spray:
    2) Thermacell: http://www.thermacell.com/mosquito-repellent/hunting

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    I know some guys in the states who had the same problem with their stocks and DEET. Anything over 50% is caustic, and that 100% jungle juice is probably carcinogenic. Maybe you Brits just got more powerful perspiration over here; I mean James Bond did kill a guy with his urine.

Maybe Try:
    1) Permethrin spray:
    2) Thermacell: http://www.thermacell.com/mosquito-repellent/hunting

I dont know where you are from but James Bond isnt real he is a dramatisation of a real secret agent called Johnny English,he is the real deal!!!!!