Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tikka 222/12 bore combo

Tikka 222/12 bore combo

A mate of mine has a tikka 222/12 bore combo in decent condition, his fac expired 12 months ago and he got a rfd to look after I till he got his fac sorted but now wants to sell it.
    What sort of money will a rifle like this be worth?
    The rfd has offered to sell it for him but we don't trust him to give a sensible price for it, he has already proved he is not to be trusted when he sold one of my mates rifles without saying a word it was not till I went to collect it that he admitted to selling it.

Don't know what it's worth but I think by the sounds of things, I'd move it to another RFD before your friend finds he's got nothing more than a threpenny bit, a conker and a snake belt for it.

Out of interest is this combination actually marked Tikka or is marked with one of the other names that this gun was marketed under? Just trying to put an age on it and if it is a Tikka that will mean that it is at least 30 ? years old.
    What sort of condition is it in?
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark23576 View Post
    A mate of mine has a tikka 222/12 bore combo in decent condition, his fac expired 12 months ago and he got a rfd to look after I till he got his fac sorted but now wants to sell it.
    What sort of money will a rifle like this be worth?
    The rfd has offered to sell it for him but we don't trust him to give a sensible price for it, he has already proved he is not to be trusted when he sold one of my mates rifles without saying a word it was not till I went to collect it that he admitted to selling it.
    There is one for sale in a gunsmith locally to me for 400 which is a Brno (could be a CZ though!)

Just for reference Martin Perkin of the Gunshop Rugby currently has a 12 bore/.222 barrel set for the Valmet/Tikka 412 for sale at 250 (guntrader).

The Tikka combination was originally made as the Valmet and then as the Finnclassic and is presently made in Italy by Marocchiarms. To be perfectly candid in my personal opinion if it is to achieve an asking price of 400 similar to the Brno combination that Ali mentions above it will have to be in pretty good condition considering its apparent age that if it is marked as being made by Tikka/Valmet.

SD Regular
    I tested the BRNO 12/.223 O/U combination for Edgar Brothers some two decades ago for a review for Shooting Times. I also had on my FAC a German 16/22LR combination gun. In theory they sound a great idea. A rifle available when you want a rifle and a shot gun when you want a shotgun. So that with but one weapon you can "contrive a double debt to pay".

Except that when you want a shot gun on avian quarry you generally want BOTH barrels. Either because you are a poor shot or you have "multiple" targets to engage.

Now a single shot rifle isn't a bad thing and practical. Except that in an O/U you end up lugging the extra weight of that shot gun barrel about.

Bottom line is its great for GERMANY and that style of battue shooting where you may get a longish sixty or seventy yard shot at a roe or a fox with the rifle barrel yet still have the chance of a ten or fifteen yard shot at the same animal with lettered shot or slug. But for the UK? Unless we go back to the roe drives of old in "battue" style I think it merely a "jack of all trades and a master of none".

So what is its value may be a lot less than its actual worth.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 06-12-2013 at 20:28.

it's a taste thing too........ I almost (and prolly will sometime) bought a BRNO in a 8x57/12 with an extra 12/12 barrel just cause I want one. Better to have and not need than need and not have yaknow.......
    Can pick that setup usually with a nice scope fitted on the rifle barrel (used) for 500+/- euro on EGUN if you are patient and watch the off season sales....

Account Suspended
    Pretty sure this is the same gun as a Valmet, or even the Savage 2400, but imported by Ithica. value 350/700 depends on condition, great turkey gun, & very accurate, once scoped.

I think you are correct Jon, Valmet did make the Savage 2400. The blue book guide suggests that a Savage 2400 in 100% condition would be worth about $500 in the U.S. that would equate to about 305.

The Brno combination that Daven mentions would equate to about 418 with a scope so the Tikka is unlikely to be of any great value though personally I would love such a rifle if I could pick one up in good condition. There's just something rather nice about break barrel rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    I tested the BRNO 12/.223 O/U combination for Edgar Brothers some two decades ago for a review for Shooting Times. I also had on my FAC a German 16/22LR combination gun. In theory they sound a great idea. A rifle available when you want a rifle and a shot gun when you want a shotgun. So that with but one weapon you can "contrive a double debt to pay".

Except that when you want a shot gun on avian quarry you generally want BOTH barrels. Either because you are a poor shot or you have "multiple" targets to engage.

Now a single shot rifle isn't a bad thing and practical. Except that in an O/U you end up lugging the extra weight of that shot gun barrel about.

Bottom line is its great for GERMANY and that style of battue shooting where you may get a longish sixty or seventy yard shot at a roe or a fox yet still have the chance of a ten or fifteen yard shot at the same animal. But for the UK? Unless we go back to the roe drives of old in "battue" style I think it merely a "jack of all trades and a master of none".

So what is its value may be a lot less than its actual worth.
    I think we will agree to differ on this - I now use a combination gun in 7x65R most of the time - main ly because I like the break action and its very accurate and quite hppy shooting out to 150yds with it. Its a Ferlach built one so pretty nice. At 7lbs all up weight, I dont feel that I am luggin any extra weight around!!