Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Combination rifles

Combination rifles

I have an empty slot on my ticket for .222, can I use this to get a .222/12 or do I need to get the slot changed to .222/12??

thanks

Not sure but I think it will have to be a variation as most barrels on combinations are less than 24" so the shotgun part of the combination would be under the legal limit for a normal shotgun. Why don't you email your firearms department to see how they will deal with it, you never know you might be pleasantly surprised.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

It's always worth calling to find out first, but from my experience with West Midlands I think your firearms dept. are likely to want you to have a specific authority to acquire/possess a ".222/12g combination gun". I have had 4 dual-calibre guns now and all have been specified as such.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

It will need a one for one variation (no fee).

Interesting point, if you have an FAC but no SGC, would you be allowed to possess a combination gun? As far as I know, outwith the normal "section 1" shotguns (magazine capacity greater than two) I thought you couldn't buy a shotgun on an FAC. It would also make buying shotgun ammunition interesting as a valid SGC must be shown to buy shotgun cartridges.

Of course, anyone applying for this type of gun is more than likely going to hold an SGC anyway, but it would make for an interesting conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by matt_hooks View Post
    Interesting point, if you have an FAC but no SGC, would you be allowed to possess a combination gun? As far as I know, outwith the normal "section 1" shotguns (magazine capacity greater than two) I thought you couldn't buy a shotgun on an FAC. It would also make buying shotgun ammunition interesting as a valid SGC must be shown to buy shotgun cartridges.

Of course, anyone applying for this type of gun is more than likely going to hold an SGC anyway, but it would make for an interesting conversation.
    A shotgun with a barrel length less than 24 inches must be on fac.

Quote Originally Posted by GWP View Post
    A shotgun with a barrel length less than 24 inches must be on fac.
    Indeed.

Also, of course, combination guns generally have a rifled barrel, which makes them S1 regardless of the length of their shotgun barrel/s (if any).

I wonder what happens if the combination includes two sets of barrels - for example one pair being 7x57R+16 and the other 16+16 - if the smoothbore-only pair is over 24" long? My guess would be that they nevertheless go on the FAC, the action being S1.
    Does anyone know?

Agreed GWP, but what if the barrel is longer than 24"? The shotgun barrel wouldn't be rifles surely?

SD Regular
    You require a variation for "1 x .222/12 bore combination gun". The thing is a whole item, the barrels can't be separated so it is classed by the component barrel that takes it into the higher category, s1, REGARDLESS of the length of the shot gun barrel. I had a .22LR/16 bore that had a barrel of twenty-nine inches. It was still s1.

FWIW the possession of the combination gun will then also allow you to purchase shot gun cartridges, with normal shot, on your FAC as possession of that show that you are "otherwise authorised" to purchase them. What it will not allow without a specific authority is purchase of solid slug of s1 or hollow point expanding or saboted expanding projectile bullet of s5 category.

Fair enough Enfield, though I reckon a couple of our local RFD's might take some persuading.