Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How not to shoot a lion

How not to shoot a lion

Just found this on you tube----- a change of underwear me thinks

Jonathon

Hi Jonathan. This has been around on Utube for a while and I think it has been spoken about on here as well, but I might be wrong.

What i can tell you is that it looks very much like a canned hunt. Its lucky no one else got shot, apart from the Lion. No one in the right mind would have a whole picnic party with them to hunt a Lion

This so called hunting is hopefully a very very rare event these days, makes my blood boil.

Sikamalc

I guess the lion was hit with the first shot otherwise he should have been let go.

This so called canned hunting is for rich lazy barstards and should be outlawed, it gets us all a bad name in the end.

Im surprised it was'nt drugged and tethered to a tree then the guy could have shot it from the saftey of the truck without breaking sweat.

Max

if you think thats bad you should have seen the trouble i got in when i shot next doors tabby.....calm down posters im joking

I've seen this before and it encapsulates all that is bad about some "hunting" although not much hunting is involved here. The miracle is that none of the group was shot and it would been a sort of rough justice if the lion had pressed home its attack..

Paul. I agree. Unfortunatly Lion when they charge as a rule only go for one person, as can be seen in the clip. It bypasses everyone and goes for the one guy.

Leopard on the other hand will sometimes have a go at everyone if given the opportunity.

I met a PH called Fannie Pretourious in 1990 in Zimbabwe, who had survived a severe mauling from a Lion. A huge man in stature, who although he had survived the attack, it had aged him considerably and he had given up hunting.

Sikamalc

only ever seen the shortened version showing the attack, before now...puts a totally different light on it seeing the start and end as well as the 'attack' - i can see now why some people dont like 'hunters', unsporting, unprofessional very lucky that no one was hurt...it just seemed so staged now, thanks for putting up the whole clip!!

Quote Originally Posted by sikamalc
    Paul. I agree. Unfortunatly Lion when they charge as a rule only go for one person, as can be seen in the clip. It bypasses everyone and goes for the one guy.

Leopard on the other hand will sometimes have a go at everyone if given the opportunity.

I met a PH called Fannie Pretourious in 1990 in Zimbabwe, who had survived a severe mauling from a Lion. A huge man in stature, who although he had survived the attack, it had aged him considerably and he had given up hunting.

Sikamalc
    Malc,

I think I saw him being interviewed in his hospital bed after the attack as part of a Channel 4 programme on hunting in Zimbabwe. From memory I think his client was finding it difficult to shoot the lion safely during the attack and his tracker had to do it. If it wasn't your guy it was a very similar event. I've got that programme on video or DVD somewhere, I'll look it up.

Indeed Paul you are correct, it is one and the same person. I also have it on tape somewheres, it is Channel 4 and it was about 1988, about two years before I met him.

It was my first time to Africa and we stayed on the banks of the Zambesi just above Vic Falls with a company called Westwood Safaris, which I believe Mr Pretouris was part owner of. I remember him not being to impressed with the programme, in which an american hunter shot a cow Cape Buffalo in mistake for a bull

Shortly after we crossed into Botswana to hunt with Gordon Cundells outfit. Funny thing is he recently dropped by here after all those years, as he was staying in the UK to see his new grandson. Very generously donated his recent book to me about Lions.

ATB

Sikamalc