Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Single shot rifles....what choices?

Single shot rifles....what choices?

After some advise please...

My current setup is a standard bolt action rifle (Howa 1500) .243W, moderator and fixed 6x42 scope - which is absolutely fine for typical lowland woodland stalking, but I have identified a need for on one permission for a rifle that is:
    • As light in weight as possible
    • With an as short as possible barrel
    • With a light-weight over-the-sleeve moderator
    • With a red dot sight (point and shoot) - possible the Aimpoint Hunter H34S
    • A Single shot rifle would be fine

The purpose would be for hunting Muntjac and Roe in dense woodland and overgrown, neglected (lots of extended area's with high bramble) shrub land. Typical shooting distance would be 30-50 Yards, the terrain has a 25% slope and is inaccessible to vehicles or even quad bikes. Plenty of deer but difficult to find, and when you find them they are often very close in, and have seen you first.

So. Which rifle (Brand. model) would fit the bill? I can only find the Ruger No. 1 as a possible option, but are there any others out there?
    How short can you cut a barrel back (I love using my 16" .17HMR, so this one to be a deer rifle with a 16" barrel???) ) and still use deer-legal (England) bullets, any suggestion?

Thank you.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Look up Kiplauf rifles Eric. Numerous manufacturers make the type of rifle you suggest from Baikal at the bottom of the pile to some of the very best.
    Just a point to consider you may have a bit of a problem achieving the legal minimum energy levels for roe with a 16" barrel in .243w, have you thought of an alternative calibre.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Just my thoughts but I'd prefer something with a faster follow-up shot capability than a true single shot.

For short and fast handling I'd try for a Browning BLR in something like .308 or perhaps .358 Win if you hand load. Also with a red dot would be mustard on driven piggies and would "buck brush" fairly well.

Other thing, though I hate to say it would be a blaser as they are fairly compact and straight pull so can be worked fast.

If you can, I reckon you should probably stick to the .308 derrived cases as they will cope with barrel shortening better.

For the "traditional" lever action calibres

.30-30 with Leverevolution 160gr 2048 out of a 24" barrel (so could stand some shortening I reckon)
    .357 Mag - Probably be lucky to touch 1100ft-lbs (my reading from around the web)
    .44 Mag - Federal says 1651ft-lbs, Hornady with their Leverevolution 1741 (you struggle justifying that one)
    .45 Colt - You can get there with heavy bullets and "modern" loadings but how available those will be in the UK I don't know

So, my choice might well be a .30-30 lever action and a red dot.

(you might consider the .45-Gov't and .444Marlin lever actions but they aren't that quiet and I find some of them not that instinctive in terms of handling, but you might find different).

Whatever you choose have fun!
    Last edited by scrumbag; 07-12-2013 at 17:05.

loved the No1 deluxe model i had sorry i let mine go

In that situation, I'd have a lever action 30-30 or 45/70 with iron or ghost ring sights... Nothing to knock out of zero. 30-30 would be plenty, but the 45/70 would drop them where they stand and save a lot of lost game. Is buckshot (00 or 0 size) legal there for deer and muntjac? If so, look at one of the O/U combos in 8 (or 7)x57 and 12 ga.... I wouldn't use anything smaller than 30 caliber (knockdown power)... Or, if the caliber is legal and your caliber is good enough, set up a high seat and pick them off with headshots with your .17.....

Scrumbag you would have a problem fitting a moderator on a conventional lever action unless you cut the magazine tube back. The original spec mentioned a moderator. Achieving the necessary 1700ft/lb for roe with a .44 mag can be done and getting it on ticket for deer shouldn't be a problem, I had one on ticket for such a few years ago.

Daven buckshot isn't normally an option and fitting a moderator to a double will be costly and is not as easy as with a single barrelled rifle, besides it would be plug ugly.
    Your idea of head shooting with the .17 It hasn't taken you long has it to get into the warped sense of humour that most of the other site members enjoy.
    Last edited by 8x57; 07-12-2013 at 18:20.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Scrumbag you would have a problem fitting a moderator on a conventional lever action unless you cut the magazine tube back. The original spec mentioned a moderator. Achieving the necessary 1700ft/lb for roe with a .44 mag can be done and getting it on ticket for deer shouldn't be a problem, I had one on ticket for such a few years ago.

Daven buckshot isn't normally an option and fitting a moderator to a double will be costly and is not as easy as with a single barrelled rifle, besides it would be plug ugly.
    Your idea of head shooting with the .17 It hasn't taken you long has it to get into the warped sense of humour that most of the other site members enjoy.
    what is a moderator? Is it a silencer? Is it a requirement by law or just another piece of equipment to make bubba look sophisticated? As for the head shots, us kids hunted squirrel with a .22 and sold them to an old guy. he'd only buy them if they were head shot and wouldn't take anything with BB's in them.... None of us had scopes, so it was all open sights.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Really? I thought most these days came with shorter rather than full length magazine. (Maybe just a quirk of the Marlins we mostly see over here..?)

Good to know you can hand load the .44 up there though if you don't reload having factory readily available is comforting.

ATB,

Scrummy

Thomson Centre Encore break barrel. I have one with a 14" barrel. In .243 75gr v max are still zipping out at over 3000fps
    "If you can't see it, you can't shoot it"

Your Howa action is about 60 grams heavier that say a Remington which is quite light. T3 Lite would be similar to the Remington action in weight.
    If one chops a sporter barrel on either the T3 or Remington to 16" from 20" one would loose around 150 grams from 24" ~300 grams.
    Use ultra lightweight mounts, I get really cheap mounts/rail from Walmart or similar but check or re-work them that they hold up to say 308.
    One can save quite a lot on the stock of course, so weigh the stock on a rifle and see if anything lighter is available. My son has a stock that weighs 560 grams all in and I have stocks around 600 grams on my rifles.
    Get a barrel mounted mod, they can be much lighter. Lightest I know of are ~160grams as 4 baffle, I use a 5 baffle weighing 175 grams since about 4 years.
    The best way of getting to a lighter rifle is to buy scales and start weighing components.
    A bolt action can be as light or lighter than some single shot break barrel rifles.
    edi