Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5x55 bullets

6.5x55 bullets

Can anyone help me out with some advice on 6.5 bullets for my 6.5x55.
    i've worked up a couple of loads, one is with 120gn Nosler b tips and the other is with 140gn partitions. Both loads are going out around 2700fps.
    The 120s shoot 1/2moa and the 140s shoot around 1moa A sweedish freind of mine say that 120s will be to fragile. I can't decide which load to try first. It will mainly be used for Roe and occasional Fallow.
    I would appreciate any advice.

Drive any of the 6.5 bullets to fast and they will be devastaing (Blow up), keep them at moderate velocities and they will perform very well.

I used 129g SSTs with good effect on big Stags and fallow. The 140g bullets will give you more versarility when shooting bigger animals IMO and that is the route I would take.

The 6.5s have very hig BCs and the sectional density is unmatched gining very good terminal ballistics. Make use of the what is already there so too speak.

DaveG

Re: 6.5x55 bullets

Quote Originally Posted by ezzy6.5
    Can anyone help me out with some advice on 6.5 bullets for my 6.5x55.
    i've worked up a couple of loads, one is with 120gn Nosler b tips and the other is with 140gn partitions. Both loads are going out around 2700fps.
    The 120s shoot 1/2moa and the 140s shoot around 1moa A sweedish freind of mine say that 120s will be to fragile. I can't decide which load to try first. It will mainly be used for Roe and occasional Fallow.
    I would appreciate any advice.
    Either would be fine for Roe or Fallow. I prefer the 140's in my 6.5.

I'm not a fan of B/T's as a deer bullet. TBH.

i am with the others

I am with the other guys i would go with 140s

steve

BT v soft point

the thing we have here is that old what is best arguement. the Ballistic tips when driven very fast will "fail" as they are more frangible. like from the 25-06 at close range it must be going at 3100 fps at poi. with the 6.5 it is unlikely you will drive the bullet that fast so it will remain a good choice. (this is of course my own home brewed physics andlogic)

I would stay with the conventional bonded soft points. thats what i have used in the past and will continue to use with effect. I expect if i had used ballistic tips from the word go i would stick with them.

steve

Re: BT v soft point

Quote Originally Posted by swampy
    the thing we have here is that old what is best arguement. the Ballistic tips when driven very fast will "fail" as they are more frangible. like from the 25-06 at close range it must be going at 3100 fps at poi. with the 6.5 it is unlikely you will drive the bullet that fast so it will remain a good choice. (this is of course my own home brewed physics andlogic)

I would stay with the conventional bonded soft points. thats what i have used in the past and will continue to use with effect. I expect if i had used ballistic tips from the word go i would stick with them.

steve

Exactly my point, any of the polymer tip bullets will fail if driven too fast. Kepp the speed moderate and let the 6.5 do the job.

I use Hornady Interlock 129 grain, they have always been very effective for me, dropping Sika stags no problem at all. Like others have said the beauty of the 6.5 is that it does not have to be driven at warp speed to be effective, it punches way above it's weight.

John

Thanks for the advice everyone, I think i will give the 140s a try. I'm a little bit stuck for bullet choice as there is only one gunshop within 40 miles of me, that sells reloading components and it is usually a case of you have to have what he has in stock and he had quite a few 140s last week so i'll stock up. I would have liked to try some Sierra pro hunters as these were great in my 270 and half the price of the Noslers (28.00 for 50).
    Thanks again.

Ezzy.