Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: 7.62x53r Brass

  1. #1

    7.62x53r Brass

    Dear all,

    many thanks for your last response for me need of reloading components. I am now in need of some brass for my new M39 nagant. Can anyone advise?

    best

    james

  2. #2
    I believe Lapua 7,62 x 54R is actually 53R

  3. #3
    Yep that's right, they are interchangeable, but I think some manufacturers like Lapua actually make the 53r variants.

    j

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by schaafman View Post
    Yep that's right, they are interchangeable, but I think some manufacturers like Lapua actually make the 53r variants.

    j
    No variants exist as far as I know as there's only one case - with two designations. 7.62x54R (Mosin-Nagant) is the one in common trade-use if you're looking.

    Maybe this has come about from the weirdly thick dished rim.

    Nearly all 7.62 Russian is Berdan-primed. The best source of reloadable is Prvi-Partizan (PPU) ammo stocked widely round here, or a 100-case bag direct from Henry Krank. I've converted a few of these to 8x56R H.M. so it's good brass. Unless you've got a match grade Nagant the Lapua stuff is too expensive.

    http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?...oducts_id=2534
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    No variants exist as far as I know as there's only one case - with two designations. 7.62x54R (Mosin-Nagant) is the one in common trade-use if you're looking.

    Maybe this has come about from the weirdly thick dished rim.

    Nearly all 7.62 Russian is Berdan-primed. The best source of reloadable is Prvi-Partizan (PPU) ammo stocked widely round here, or a 100-case bag direct from Henry Krank. I've converted a few of these to 8x56R H.M. so it's good brass. Unless you've got a match grade Nagant the Lapua stuff is too expensive.

    http://www.henrykrank.com/index.php?...oducts_id=2534
    Reloading Berdan primed cases is fairly easy and the military brass is usually thicker so you can load DOWN by 5% because of the reduced case capacity

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgyrog View Post
    Reloading Berdan primed cases is fairly easy and the military brass is usually thicker so you can load DOWN by 5% because of the reduced case capacity
    Really?

    I've missed this trick. Which decapping method do you use, and where do you get your Berdan primers from?
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

  7. #7
    RCBS makes a Berdan decapper, but it's quite hard to adjust and occasionally destroys the anvil. The decapping "claws" also tend to break (you can make replacements yourself, Hilti fasteners/nails are good material).

    IMHO best would be to use water pressure, you need only a piston of suitable size (e.g. drill bit would do), hammer and container for water. Put the case in shellholder that you have anyway, fill with water and use the piston to drive the primer out.

    In Finland people used to reload Berdan cases, but only good quality like Lapua 7.62x53R or 7.62x39 manufactured for Finnish army. Not so much anymore. At least RWS manufacturers Berdan primers.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinistral View Post
    Really?

    I've missed this trick. Which decapping method do you use, and where do you get your Berdan primers from?
    I use a Wamadet hydraulic decapper, but I have used a RCBS decapper in the past, which I found to use lots of levering pins( as they were too brittle).
    I have a big stock of berdan No 81 and RWS 5,5mm berdan primers I have acquired over the years.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgyrog View Post
    I use a Wamadet hydraulic decapper, but I have used a RCBS decapper in the past, which I found to use lots of levering pins( as they were too brittle).
    I have a big stock of berdan No 81 and RWS 5,5mm berdan primers I have acquired over the years.
    Good show, and some thrifty thinking.

    I played with the water treatment years ago in the shed but opted for comfort. Moved indoors & upstairs. Now under heavy supervision so squirting water around is forbidden.

    You've got lots of old stock so berdan priming makes sense. I can't really think of anywhere where Berdan primers are now sold. Maybe these will re-appear if the current shortages of boxer CCI & Remington go on.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

  10. #10
    New Berdan primers are on sale in the USA - made in the Tula arsenal in Russia - there's no reason that they couldn't be brought over here for sale other than a very low demand.
    They would probably be under the Muron trade name.

Similar Threads

  1. *SOLD* 308 noma once fired brass SWAP for 6.5x55 brass
    By defender-kris in forum Reloading
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20-08-2013, 18:32
  2. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-07-2012, 14:14
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 19-11-2011, 22:07
  4. For Sale Brass clear out continues - 30-06 RP brass cases
    By dodgyrog in forum Reloading
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 23-09-2011, 17:15
  5. for sale 222 brass 270 brass + scope
    By croc in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17-08-2011, 14:46

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •