Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sore springer eyes.

Sore springer eyes.

Anyone recomend anything I can put round the eyes of my springer to sooth and heel after a days beating. Never had it as bad as this but the cover on this new shoot is like pea soup, lots of really fine brambles.

Matt.

Try some Vaseline, I use it on my labs after they have crashed through brambles and so on.
    Regards Luke

If the dog/s have scratched the eye ball itself then go to the chemist and get some 'Golden Eye Ointment' it will do the job.

Martin

If there is a corneal scratch or ulcer, it may heal itself, but Golden Eye or any of the other non prescription products won't work. If there is a lot of blinking/obvious pain with one pupil smaller than the other - you need a vet check.

Our Cockers have had a busy few weeks on commercial shoots, and one in particular cocker had exactly the symptoms you describe. We use Vaseline to protect then Aloe Vera gel for healing if excessive. (also giving the affected dog a few days off )

You can use Chloramphenicol drops to ease the eyes. We always have some in the house for us, but after buying some of the (very expensive) animal version we found it was exactly the same amounts of active ingredients as the human version which you can buy over the counter at the Chemist.

Like suggested above Vaseline around the eyes once clean and, a drop of Chloramphenicol in the eye will have happy pooch back in the house.
    Last edited by The Burpster; 11-12-2013 at 13:03. Reason: Typo

Try luke warm tea bags or also luke warm milk on a piece of cotton wool you will be amazed how it soothes them.

Quote Originally Posted by The Burpster View Post
    You can use Chloramphenicol drops to ease the eyes. We always have some in the house for us, but after buying some of the (very expensive) animal version we found it was exactly the same amounts of active ingredients as the human version which you can buy over the counter at the Chemist.

Like suggested above Vaseline around the eyes once clean and, a drop of Chloramphenicol in the eye will have happy pooch back in the house.
    May I take polite issue with your post, and it's inappropriate advice.
    1) The original post made no mention of corneal or conjunctival problems, simply periorbital, yet you are advocating treating the cornea and subsequently the conjunctiva.
    2) The treatment you are advocating is a human drug and not licensed for animals, thus certain criteria have to be applied, before it can be used in the case of a dog. None of which will have been applied in this case.
    3) You are asking the pharmacist to provide a drug illegally, all be it unknowingly.
    4) Worst of all you are advocating the inappropriate use of an antibiotic, how many times have you been told to finish the course of antibiotics by your own doctor, or in the case of your dog the vet. The occasional use of antibiotics leads to increased resistance by bacteria to antibiotics, thus making the condition more difficult and more expensive to treat.
    5) You say expensive, how valuable is a dog's eye, and how expensive to treat if it goes wrong??

The above can also be levied at the suggestion by Martin, which Buchan has already covered.

Matt - be careful with Vaseline, same can be said for Aloe Vera, around the eye, do not get it into the eye. Speak to your vet - fucithalmic can be gently smeared around the eye, and as it is an ophthalmic treatment does not matter if it goes in the eye. But again be aware of potential antibiotic resistance if just used for a couple of days every week or so.
    Also if fine thorns are an issue be very, very careful you do not spot a thorn in the cornea, ultimate worst case the dog could lose an eye.

regards,

HL.

Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    May I take polite issue with your post, and it's inappropriate advice.
    1) The original post made no mention of corneal or conjunctival problems, simply periorbital, yet you are advocating treating the cornea and subsequently the conjunctiva.
    2) The treatment you are advocating is a human drug and not licensed for animals, thus certain criteria have to be applied, before it can be used in the case of a dog. None of which will have been applied in this case.
    3) You are asking the pharmacist to provide a drug illegally, all be it unknowingly.
    4) Worst of all you are advocating the inappropriate use of an antibiotic, how many times have you been told to finish the course of antibiotics by your own doctor, or in the case of your dog the vet. The occasional use of antibiotics leads to increased resistance by bacteria to antibiotics, thus making the condition more difficult and more expensive to treat.
    5) You say expensive, how valuable is a dog's eye, and how expensive to treat if it goes wrong??

The above can also be levied at the suggestion by Martin, which Buchan has already covered.

Matt - be careful with Vaseline, same can be said for Aloe Vera, around the eye, do not get it into the eye. Speak to your vet - fucithalmic can be gently smeared around the eye, and as it is an ophthalmic treatment does not matter if it goes in the eye. But again be aware of potential antibiotic resistance if just used for a couple of days every week or so.
    Also if fine thorns are an issue be very, very careful you do not spot a thorn in the cornea, ultimate worst case the dog could lose an eye.

regards,

HL.
    HL,

Firstly I will apologise for not picking up on the detail of the OPs post and only the mention of 'around' the eyes in which case the use of chloramphenicol would make absolutely no difference.

Then with reference the the rest of your post I will reply politely as well.

Points 2-4 are purely speculative I as give no direction as to how the drops should be used, I would trust any responsible dog owner to research whatever they do prior to doing it. All your points could easily be counter argued but sadly I have too much to do to spend hours justifying what I put on a forum. I made a suggestion based upon my experience, if the OP wishes to investigate that further then they can or they can discount it. I believe my comment can only be deemed inappropriate if it is more likely to do more harm than good.

I would suggest that points 2-4 are scaremongering and really negative, and not really what I would expect from a professional. Surely your time would be better spent educating folks on this forum rather than pulling contributors posts to bits.

Point 5 is rhetorical and actually quite condescending.

No vet is 100% correct 100% of the time and in my experience some are acting in their own interests a considerable amount of the time and are actually flawed in their judgement. For us the customers we can and should ask for second opinions and based upon me doing just that I can justify the above statement. However it seems that Vets try to put themselves above having their judgement questioned, just like GPs used to be years ago.

I am lucky that I have two vets (one equine and, one for the small animals) that I trust and have a good working relationship with. My comments above come from working with sheep for over a decade.

I won't bother putting any posts in this section again as it appears form your post that being a layman and attempting to be helpful is wrong.

Bob.

I thought Highlander's response was quite reasonable and factual. Antibiotic resistance is a very real concern and part of the solution lies in using them appropriately and that means less often and only under a doctor's or a vet's advice. That may sound condescending, but it is true. I'm up for discussion on treatment at any time and with anyone. As for eyes - I have a very low threshold for referring them if I am concerned about foreign material and I have seen animals lose eyes due to inappropriate over the counter medicines.