Thread: Ziess Victory HT 2.5-10x50

Ziess Victory HT 2.5-10x50

So I am about to buy a new SAKO 85 .270 and I have been looking at a suitable scope to go with it. I usually shoot in a wooded area but occasionally I do some open shooting and most of the time I am after roe. If I get the chance I would also like to do some more open shooting for reds. The maximum range I would be looking to shoot is around 300m and I am just after peoples thoughts on this particular scope for what I would be using it for. Ziess Victory HT 2.5-10x50. I have looked at the 42 and 56mm objectives too but I think the 50 is a good all rounder.

I have also been looking at the Swarovski Z6/Z6i but for the extra cost compared to the victory I think the victory has won and I've heard it is slightly better. Thoughts and opinions?

Oh and if anyone can recommend the best mounts to go with the scope and rifle that would be a great help. Thanks in advance.

Get the zeiss you will not be disappointed .

John gryphon has just posted some scope tests, they are well worth a look, and the zeiss comes out well on all of them.
    Paul
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

It is a beautiful scope, no doubt about it. Probably no finer glass out there just now

The only question that I would ask is how much use are you going to get out of the lower end 2.5-6x magnification range compared to the upper end 9-10x range. If I was driven shooting, then yes I would want to turn down the magnification. That is where the real flexibility in this scope lies (in my opinion). Taking driven shooting out of the equation, then for normal ranges the 7x or 8x is probably going to be fine. But if you want to stretch the range a bit, ask yourself whether 10x is really going to get you there. If it is, I'd say you are good to go and it will last you a lifetime of stalking!

Personally, I concluded that for most of my stalking I was happy sticking with a fixed 8x scope. For longer range, especially on smaller targets, I concluded that 10x wasn't enough and that I wanted the flexibility to turn up the magnification a bit more, say 12/14/16x. Come on Zeiss, where is my HT 4-16x50 with ASV+ ?!

Just a few thoughts...
    Last edited by JabaliHunter; 09-12-2013 at 12:07.

I don't see how you could do any better for a general purpose stalking scope.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

I think that scope would be perfect for your needs.
    For mounts I think the sako optilock 30mm low ringmounts would be perfect, they look a lot better than the optilock ring and base type.

Quote Originally Posted by JabaliHunter View Post
    It is a beautiful scope, no doubt about it. Probably no finer glass out there just now

The only question that I would ask is how much use are you going to get out of the lower end 2.5-6x magnification range compared to the upper end 9-10x range. If I was driven shooting, then yes I would want to turn down the magnification. That is where the real flexibility in this scope lies (in my opinion). Taking driven shooting out of the equation, then for normal ranges the 7x or 8x is probably going to be fine. But if you want to stretch the range a bit, ask yourself whether 10x is really going to get you there. If it is, I'd say you are good to go and it will last you a lifetime of stalking!

Personally, I concluded that for most of my stalking I was happy sticking with a fixed 8x scope. For longer range, especially on smaller targets, I concluded that 10x wasn't enough and that I wanted the flexibility to turn up the magnification a bit more, say 12/14/16x. Come on Zeiss, where is my HT 4-16x50 with ASV+ ?!

Just a few thoughts...
    Thank JabaliHunter. Would you suggest that I buy the Ziess Victory HT 3-12x56 then for more versatility. I looked on the Zeiss website and it lists what it's use was for, and it didn't score well for stalking. If I did buy the 3-12x56, would I not get about the same results with 7x magnification as I would on the 2.5-10x50 at 8x magnification and would it realistically still be suitable for stalking in a woodland with a lower magnification setting? There's not much difference in price really.

Quote Originally Posted by fraslew View Post
    Thank JabaliHunter. Would you suggest that I buy the Ziess Victory HT 3-12x56 then for more versatility. I looked on the Zeiss website and it lists what it's use was for, and it didn't score well for stalking. If I did buy the 3-12x56, would I not get about the same results with 7x magnification as I would on the 2.5-10x50 at 8x magnification and would it realistically still be suitable for stalking in a woodland with a lower magnification setting? There's not much difference in price really.
    I would personally avoid a 56mm variable. I just find them to big and heavy, they make a rifle unwieldy.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

A really tough question to answer! I agree that 56mm variables are bulkier, so perhaps Zeiss is right that the HT 2.5-10x50 is the most versatile all-rounder... Either model would be suitable for woodland.

Everyone has there own personal preferences. I have had two 50mm variables over the years and honestly I don't recall ever turning either down below 7x. I now use a fixed 8x and don't miss the low end magnification range, but do sometimes miss the top end for roe does and muntjac in open downland. I would never sell the 8x50, but if I were to buy another variable the two on my list are the FL 4-16x50 and the HT 3-12x56 ASV+ (but would prefer it if it was a 50mm). Some people are just hard to please!
    Last edited by JabaliHunter; 09-12-2013 at 23:55.