Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting off reloading

Starting off reloading

Hi, can anyone enlighten me on what is needed to start out reloading? And approx expense?
    i guess it is quite time consuming reloading aswell??

thanks

Hi verminhunter this question has come up often on the site in the past and normally causes a fair bit of debate from those at opposite ends of the spectrum. That is those that use minimalist kit to produce good ammo to the obsessive who must have the very best or very latest kit. In reality it is possible to reload for the minimal of outlay.
    I would suggest that it would pay you to look through past postings on this subject and to form your own conclusions. It would certainly be beneficial if you can make contact with a reloader in your area and see how its done and to see what kit he uses, just remember though that there are very many ways of skinning a cat so keep an open mind.

If you are looking from the point of view that it may be time consuming and you have better things to do with your time then think again because it is a very addictive and compulsive pass time in it's own right. Not to say that once set up you can't produce a couple of boxes of ammo in only 30 minutes or so without breaking into a sweat.
    Last edited by 8x57; 09-12-2013 at 08:03.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

you are more than welcome to pop over to aylsham for any help or info you need matey my mobile is 07879468878

Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

Watch out spud is one of the obsessive ones.
    You won't get a better offer than that verminhunter, just look at spud's videos for a start.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    You won't get a better offer than that verminhunter, just look at spud's videos for a start.

to be honest the vid will tell you most of what you need to know to get started , after that most of it you will learn and realise through practice

the most important peice of equipment to buy is a decent reloading manual whether it be be lee, lyman, hornady or any of theothers they are all valid and all highly imformative

Quote Originally Posted by verminhunter243 View Post
    Hi, can anyone enlighten me on what is needed to start out reloading? And approx expense?
    i guess it is quite time consuming reloading aswell??

thanks
    Truly a how longs a piece of string question, the answer is as much or as little as you like. Could probably get going for between 50 and 100 for a whack a mole Lee Loader and some other assorted bits (which will no doubt load decent ammo) or spend 1000s

I've just ordered Lee's Modern Reloading 2nd edition as was recommended that. Hopefully that'll give me the basics so I can get started. As I don't have room for a bench mounted press yet I'm going to start with the Lee hand loader for about 37 and get all the other bits as and when to spread the costs.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    As mike rightly says you won't get a better offer than that
    I have dealt with spud and you won't find a fairer bloke
    regards pete

Ok thanks for the advice , if I end up not reloading , is there any use for spent casings or just bin?
    or save up thousands and weigh them in lol