Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Case trim length question

Case trim length question

Just started preparing a load of once fired (in various rifles) .308 federal brass. Cleaned, de primed & FL sized. All checked & now chamber in my rifle.
    When measuring the case length there is two groups
    1) 2.015" &
    2) 2.021"
    All the books show maximum case trim OAL to be 2.015"

Question - is this the maximum length the case should be? ie no longer than
    Or the maximum it can be trimmed to? ie no shorter than

Probably just the way I'm reading it but can't differentiate its meaning
    Wingy
    unless you can prove it beyond all reasonable doubt, it wasn't me. If you can prove it then you must be mistaken

Wingy
    I would suggest you bin any brass that you haven't fired in your rifle and that you buy some quality brass. Then make sure none of the brass is longer than 2.015 inches.
    Regards
    JCS

Trim length as given in most re-loading books is around .010" shorter then the maximum case length for a given calibre.
    Just trim them all to the trim spec, so 2.015" for .308, I use a Lee trimmer set, and trim every case every time, that way
    all cases you load will be the same length each time, it takes only a few seconds to do.

Neil.

Thanks, I was thinking of trimming them all to the 2.015" but didn't know if I could have used the longer cases as they do chamber in the rifle. I'll trim them all the same
    Wingy

Quote Originally Posted by Wingy View Post
    Thanks, I was thinking of trimming them all to the 2.015" but didn't know if I could have used the longer cases as they do chamber in the rifle. I'll trim them all the same
    Wingy
    A long time ago I watched (from a safe distance) someone blow the primers out of the pockets on his fifth and sixth shots at a target. I asked him to cease fire as smoke coming from the breech end of the rifle is not a good sign. On investigation he found the cases had not been trimmed to length and that the start of the rifling was compressing the end of the case neck causing a significant over pressure. If you Google carefully, you will find some good diagrams explaining this problem.

Regards

JCS

The maximum case length of .308Win. cartridge is 2.015" - the 'trim to' length is 2.005" - .010" (10 thou.) shorter than max case length.
    No cartridge case longer then 2.015" should ever be used.
    You should start your cartridge cases at the 'trim to' length 2.005" as they will 'grow in length' at each firing. ATB
    Last edited by deeangeo; 10-12-2013 at 05:20.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

I must admit I trim every time I reload as said already only takes seconds but can save a whole world of hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Wingy
    I would suggest you bin any brass that you haven't fired in your rifle and that you buy some quality brass. Then make sure none of the brass is longer than 2.015 inches.
    Regards
    JCS
    Quick better tell all those people firing military brass to pack it in and buy some nice shiny new brass, what a load of ********.

Sorry but there is nothing wrong with once fired brass as long as you prep it properly.

Quote Originally Posted by timbeech View Post
    Quick better tell all those people firing military brass to pack it in and buy some nice shiny new brass, what a load of ********.

Sorry but there is nothing wrong with once fired brass as long as you prep it properly.
    +1, have to say I agree, I use once fired from other friends rifles without issue, as long as it's checked shouldn't be an issue.

regards,
    gixer

I scrounge brass from wherever I can, and reload for about a dozen different chamberings. Clean it, resize it , trim it to length, check it over carefully, and if it's from different manufacturers, it's a good idea to sort by brand. After the first full length resize, you can adjust your die so that it does not bump the shoulder back, but does resize the neck. Eventually you will likely need to bump it back a smidge, but this tactic will significantly increase the life of your brass.
    I've had to buy new brass for a few less common chamberings, but for all the others, scrounging, accepting donations, and buying once fired stuff has provided me with all the brass I've needed. Perhaps it would be different if I was involved in competitive bench rest shooting, but I'm a hunter, recreational shooter, and "plinker". My advice would be to avoid buying new brass except when you've run out of other options.