Border Barrels, changes afoot!

They were bought out by a Birmingham firm, the staff at Riccarton laid off and production moved.
I believe Geoff Kolbe is still with the company.

Here's the announcement

Announcement
Change of ownership of Border Barrels

John Shirley, Director of Birmingham Gunmakers Limited is pleased to announce that, with effect from 24 June 2013, Border Barrels has become wholly owned by Birmingham Gunmakers Limited.
Border Barrels has supplied magazine, falling block and double rifle barrels to John Shirley's gun-making business for over twenty years. So, when Dr Geoffrey Kolbe wanted to take his Border Barrels business in a new direction, the acquisition of his company by Birmingham Gunmakers Limited was a natural development.

John Shirley has over 40 years experience in the gun trade, and has over 30 years experience in the design, manufacture and construction of magazine, falling block and double guns and rifles. He was the first to introduce CAD-CAM CNC machining techniques into the UK trade in the 1980's. He has worked for every major gun-making company in the UK and several in Europe. These include Holland & Holland, Boss, Westley Richards, Rigby and Peter Nelson. In 1996, he sold his CNC machining facility to James Purdey, and for the next year was the Technical Manager of James Purdey's Hammersmith factory. Since then, he has worked throughout Europe and Japan developing machining strategies for the production of precision-machined components. He is a Metalworking Production and Machinery and Production Engineering - Manufacturing Industry Award winner.

Dr Geoffrey Kolbe will continue to work within Border Barrels, where he will undertake research and development work for ammunition manufacturers, government organisations and competitive target shooters.

Border Barrel's production remains in Scotland, but all communications should now be directed to the following address:

Border Barrels Ltd
Unit 4
Gunsmith House
50-54 Price Street
BIRMINGHAM
West Midlands
B4 6JZ
Tel: +44 (0)121 359 6861

They were bought out by a Birmingham firm, the staff at Riccarton laid off and production moved.
I believe Geoff Kolbe is still with the company.

according to to the website announcement, production remains in Scotland. Hope they don't dick about with a successful business (I have a barrel on order from them.)

EDIT: as above post, which crossed with mine.

hi all they are moving to Birmingham, Geoff is going there too, some of the lads are relocating to Birmingham with Geoff also but I think the border barrel name will be lost, if you've got any orders with them I think you'll be lucky to see it.

My brother lee used to work there I imagine most of you who know the company would have spoken to him at some point, he has now immigrated to New Zealand and is working for Hardy Rifle Engineering.

hi all they are moving to Birmingham, Geoff is going there too, some of the lads are relocating to Birmingham with Geoff also but I think the border barrel name will be lost, if you've got any orders with them I think you'll be lucky to see it.

My brother lee used to work there I imagine most of you who know the company would have spoken to him at some point, he has now immigrated to New Zealand and is working for Hardy Rifle Engineering.

Heard that news from NZ. I wish Lee all the best.
edi

according to to the website announcement, production remains in Scotland. Hope they don't dick about with a successful business (I have a barrel on order from them.)

EDIT: as above post, which crossed with mine.
I spoke with the lads there whilst on the land next door and they told me that the whole production facility was moving to Birmingham at Christmas and the staff were being 'let go'.

curious why people would be lucky to see there orders, as I assume they purchased the company as a going concern, so payed a price with those orders on the books in mind.

Possibly, knowing the SNP's attitude to firearms they are getting all the stuff out before the referendum?

David.

Possibly, knowing the SNP's attitude to firearms they are getting all the stuff out before the referendum?

David.

don't think so. this is really old news tbh. it makes strategic sense for John Shirley to take Borders over and relocate to his birmingham premises and within reach of his own machining expertise and oversight. in reality, he is just purchasing machinery, any IP, and maintaining supply chain relationships so his own business has a guaranteed flow of supply for their arms portfolio which would be a nightmare for them to source elsewhere! in addition, it might help diversify their product range and expand into general barrel supply to the market, which helps diversify and lower business risk, esp. if Borders 'was' going to have a product restructure.

from a business perspective, this makes perfect sense.

I see no reason why existing orders would not be either given a full refund or completed IMHO.

There's probably more going on than you know, all you can do is wait and see what happens. I do know that there wasn't any Archer barrels being ready until Feb 14...think that'll extend.

Really see no point in prevaricating over the status of the company.

They are talking orders, the ones already ordered will be completed.

A change of location won't affect things, maybe a short period while the machinery is reinstalled.

I contacted Bb yesterday and was told they are not sure whether production of "guns" would continue under new ownership as they are fairly time consuming. Barrels would continue to be made, but all orders or queries should be directed through Birmingham. All seems a little vague, however. There didn't appear to be anyone at the workshop that could deal with my query. It's a shame if it does relocate as it's just another local company to bite the dust.

My mate works for Border barrels, and I live 10 mins away, defo closeing at Newcastleton, staff given opion relocate to Birmingham or redundancy. Everything going to Birmingham

I guess “lathe operators” grow on trees and that Birmingham, being the former centre of UK Gunmaking, will have plenty available to crack on "soon as" ?

My mate works for Border barrels, and I live 10 mins away, defo closeing at Newcastleton, staff given opion relocate to Birmingham or redundancy. Everything going to Birmingham

Very disappointing for all, what was your mates decision, is he making the move?

Back