Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Towing a trailer - changes in licences?

Towing a trailer - changes in licences?

My friend who runs a car repair and maintenance business has told me that as of September 2014 anybody driving a vehicle pulling a trailer with a combined weight of 3 tons (tonnes?) will need to do a 5 day training course (but no test) to stay legal (costing £250). So my Shogun and 4 wheel trailer puts me in that category.
    I guess those of you pulling a quad on a trailer will be affected.
    Does anybody know of this change and can confirm its' voracity please?

Sounds nonsense to me.
    There is a whole load of new braking laws coming into force around that time and I seem to remember that trailers may have to have an mot but never heard what your mate is on about.
    Last edited by scubadog; 09-12-2013 at 23:37.

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)
    Depends when you got your license
    here's a good site
    http://www.armitagetrailers.com/trailerlaw.htm
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Drivers Licence
    Holders of driving licences issued before July 1996 and providing that they have Group A or if after 1990, category B, are entitled to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to a maximum train weight of 8.25 tons.
    However holders of car licences issued after July 1996 will only be able to drive a vehicle and trailer combination of up to 3500kg assuming that the trailer and its load are lighter than the towing vehicle. ie. a 2000kg vehicle with a 1500kg trailer. To tow a larger trailer wighing up to 3500kg a B + E licence must be obtained.

This from the gov.uk site:

Driving licence rules and what you can towThe rules on what you can tow are different depending on when you passed your driving test.
    Licences issued from 19 January 2013

From 19 January 2013, drivers passing a category B (car and small vehicle) test can tow:

• small trailers weighing no more than 750kg
    • trailers weighing more than 750kg, where the combined weight of the towing vehicle and the trailer isn’t more than 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM)

If you want to tow a trailer weighing more than 750kg, when the combined weight of the towing vehicle and trailer is more than 3,500kg, you’ll have to pass a further test and get B+E entitlement on your licence.
    You’ll then be able to tow trailers up to 3,500kg.
    Licences held from 1 January 1997

If you passed your driving test after 1 January 1997 and have an ordinary category B (car) licence, you can:

• drive a vehicle up to 3.5 tonnes or 3,500kg MAM towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM
    • tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as it is no more than the unladen weight of the towing vehicle (with a combined weight of up to 3,500kg in total)

For anything heavier you need to take a category B+E driving test.

Licences held before 1 January 1997

If you passed your car test before 1 January 1997 you are generally entitled to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8.25 tonnes MAM.
    This is the weight of a vehicle or trailer including the maximum load that can be carried safely when it’s being used on the road.
    You also have entitlement to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kg MAM.

Far too many Pippas just passing their tests and coupling up to the Ifor Williams horsebox with three tons of nervous horse on board and then towing it with a car too light.
    But what really gets my back up is farmers doing haulage and low-loader work with what is basically an articulated vehicle often under braked and running on red diesel. No Operators Licence or driver CPC. We have a multi millionare farmer near here that moves sewage waste from the treatment works and the farmers get paid to spread it on fields of barley and the drivers of this 20 ton combo have not started shaving yet.
    Last edited by RED-DOT; 10-12-2013 at 03:26.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    Far too many Pippas just passing their tests and coupling up to the Ifor Williams horsebox with three tons of nervous horse on board and then towing it with a car too light.
    But what really gets my back up is farmers doing haulage and low-loader work with what is basically an articulated vehicle often under braked and running on red diesel. No Operators Licence or driver CPC. We have a multi millionare farmer near here that moves sewage waste from the treatment works and the farmers get paid to spread it on fields of barley and the drivers of this 20 ton combo have not started shaving yet.
    We have the very same situation around the corner from me, had the bike sideways twice this last week on a very slick sheen of squashed tatties & fine mud!, you'd think with all that money they would put a roadsweeper on.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Think your friend is getting confused and is talking about the driver CPC,this is only relevant if you are driving professionally and is your main job.
    Search for driver CPC then click on the gov.uk link have a read,if your towing a trailer for recreational purpose don't think you have much to worry about.

link Driver CPC for lorry, bus and coach drivers - GOV.UK
    Last edited by dave 67; 10-12-2013 at 06:54.

I think teyhan is right, accordiing to my lisence I have authority to tow and drive up to 7 ton vehicle on my full driving lisence, I think the law change years ago but dont know when.

Yep it's the driver CPC. The old grandfather rights are no longer being allowed for those that passed before 1990 will be required to pass a 40 hr CPC but only if driving professionally. If it affects you your transport manager will let you know.
    .243 Weatherby Vanguard Synth /.223 BRNO CZ527 Synthetic
    .22LR CZ 455 Synth / 12G Stoeger 2000 / 12G U/O Bettinsoli
    12G Zoli SBS / .410 unknown Italian