Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stalking Smock

Red face Stalking Smock

At the CLA I bought a Rivers West Hill Pro Smock from the NGO stand for what was a good price of £120. I wasn't sure if a smock was for me and now I have used it through the rut and into the winter I must say how impressed with it I am.

Because it is fleece it is quite, I have had no trouble with the noise front that I had with my Ridgeline stuff. It is a new lighter fabric so you can stalk and walk in it and not poor sweat from every part of your body.

The only bad point is the pocket on the front that all the stuff falls out of when I put the jacket on and take it off.

I did make the mistake of not buying the trousers so when it does rain because it is so waterproof your legs get soaked, I have now remedied that and ordered the trousers on the NGO website along with another smock this time in cammo.

Really happy and would highly recommend them. So if you are looking for a Christmas present you cant go far wrong.
    Last edited by hottopic; 10-12-2013 at 10:18. Reason: spelling

hi feller do you sweat like the other stuff! i use the wildfowl suit (Jarrett) and it is very very dry and warm n' stops the rain coming in, but you sweat like a Thermos flask inside and the kit stays wet after you remove it so you need to dry the inside out before next use.

I recent bought an Austrian Army goretex shell smock / jacket.
    It's plain olive so you would never know it was military gear ..
    It is night on the driest most breathable stalking jacket i've ever owned... and i've
    owned some expensive jackets.
    All for the grand sum of £40.00

Hi Paul o'

No you dont sweat like the thick Jarrett and the Field Pro stuff - it is much lighter material so not so hot inside but is still as waterproof

Quote Originally Posted by Cadex View Post
    I recent bought an Austrian Army goretex shell smock / jacket.
    It's plain olive so you would never know it was military gear ..
    It is night on the driest most breathable stalking jacket i've ever owned... and i've
    owned some expensive jackets.
    All for the grand sum of £40.00
    Hard to beat the military surplus stuff... I have pullover sweaters, field jackets, and goretex jackets (german army issue, but we have British soldiers in the area and the styles look the same except the cammo patterns)... We bought the jackets and goretex on ebay 2 for 30 euro on the goretex and 2 for 35 for the jackets..... Thinking about springing for some field pants and goretex pants also.....

So you would need an under garment if high seating or just sitting around ? my old camo is dieing and a new coat is on the cards was hoping to win the swazi lol .But a over the head job seams to be the way to go . The shooting show is on soon, ill have a good look then thanks feller. being a KWC wildfowler we get up to 70% off riverswest.
    paul

Quote Originally Posted by hottopic View Post
    Hi Paul o'

No you dont sweat like the thick Jarrett and the Field Pro stuff - it is much lighter material so not so hot inside but is still as waterproof

Damm If I knew you get 70% off Rivers West I would have asked you to order it for me. I havent needed a proper undergarment in the highseat yet, but I would guess you would if you were wildfowling.

I've had one of the drab greeny brown field pro smocks for a good few months now and I'm really impressed too.... ok it's a bit boil in the bag if you're tabbing hard but I've worn it on the hill, beating, stalking, high seats and it's been excellent........ you can get a bucket load of kit in the front bino pocket, the zipped one within that and the massive handwarmer pouch behind that - ammo, gloves, phone, neck-warmer, binos, nv spotter, thermal spotter now , torches, fox-pro handset... even had the daydscope in there once I'd swapped to the nv 'scope.

I've got a Large and I'm a 42" chest and I can get a Montane Extreme fleece top underneath and now a pair of the Montane salopettes..... (Thanks to Jackfish and Acm ).

It's definitely waterproof (and easily re-vitalised by washing and tumble dry) it doesn't stink after getting sweaty, it's got a proper hood (godsend), it's got a decent tail so no wet arse! Even if you have sweated it doesn't seem to chill you down, easy to layer under too. And it's one tough silent material.

Guess I like it... will definitely buy another.

's me

Fizz

Thanks feller one good reason to be a kent wild fowler lol

Quote Originally Posted by hottopic View Post
    Damm If I knew you get 70% off Rivers West I would have asked you to order it for me. I havent needed a proper undergarment in the highseat yet, but I would guess you would if you were wildfowling.

Going on from this thread I had an email from the National Gamekeepers with there shop special offers the other day.

They have reduced the Rivers West Hill Pro Smock to £100! I ordered another one from them in Cammo with the trousers (which are also reduced). Given how wet and s**** the weather is I am basically living in my smock on the ATV and out stalking. A link for the sale page is below if you are interested.

http://www.nationalgamekeepers.org.uk/shop/sale