Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: electronic hearing protection?

electronic hearing protection?

Hey Folks,
    after a tip from another thread, I looked at some (online)... Anybody use them for hunting that has tinnitis?

I have a real good set (plain) for range and working already, just feel like I'm settin in a drum if I use them for hunting (so I don't).. I don't hear much as it is, but thought the amplifier might help... The way it is with me is like an old data machine... I constantly hear the tinnitis, so I can hear (distinguish?) one other sound. Anything else has to kinda soak in til I realize it's a pig or something moving thru the brush/leaves. After I get the idea that it is something important, I then have to figure out where it comes from and be ready........ And cuss/kick myself in the [censored] constantly for not wearing hearing protection enough when I was younger.....

Just wondering if you'd notice the tinnitis more or less (or at all) with the electronic ones.

Thanks, Dave

I have tinnitis syndrome, I find that the best hearing protection are various types of ear plugs. defenders create an 'empty' space which just exagerates the sound, makes it stand out. things that go 'in' your ear tend to break this empty contrast silence up as they rub/move about a bit in your ear.
    I have to admit, I've not tried electronic one's, haven't had the extra money to spend on saving my hearing, it's all going to the items making the bullet fly :-)

just my findings.

I went though a few sets or the electronic ones, all good but all having the od fault, at the moment im using Howard Leight from the USA. i think they were 35 when i found them but the right price is around 70. a lot now have them on the range and a few friends use for pigeon shooting. only one pair have had a problem and the head band snapped. a lot of messing but he did get them replaced.

hope that's of some help

All the best

Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by activeviii View Post
    I went though a few sets or the electronic ones, all good but all having the od fault, at the moment im using Howard Leight from the USA. i think they were 35 when i found them but the right price is around 70. a lot now have them on the range and a few friends use for pigeon shooting. only one pair have had a problem and the head band snapped. a lot of messing but he did get them replaced.

hope that's of some help

All the best

Phil.
    http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-..._bxgy_sg_img_y

That's the ones I found... Price is back down again and a 4.4 out of 5 star average of over 2300 reviews. Guess I'll order some. Was hoping to get some feedback on the ringing ears, but they're gonna ring one way or the other anyway... How is the battery life in yours?

Thanks.

I have used a pair of Peltor Sporttac electronic ear defenders for both driven and high seat shooting. THey are uncomfortable with a hat, but perfect with a balaclava. Mine are 5 or 6 years old and I think I have only changed the batteries once. They are also very tough as I lost them in a forest for 5 days and they put up with snow, sleet and rain. Well worth the CHF 200.

I have a set of the CENS electronic ear defenders.
    Never thought I'd get used to them because I usually hate putting things into my ear canals.
    However, I settled in with these things in no time, maybe cos they're moulded for my ears?
    Anyway, they're excellent performers, they amplify faint sounds like animal noises but knock out gunfire - rifle or shotgun - no problem.
    They also don't aggravate my tinnitus at all.
    One drawback is that they will get annoying if they pick up wind noise but CENS supplied dampers for that, pity they're a fiddle and a faff to fit though.
    Hard on the batteries too.
    I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, but it was only some fecker with a torch bringing me more work

I have a great friend who had to give up shooting as a result of tinnitus. He found it was the concussion of the gun as well as the noise. He do a little picking up and wears both in ear and over ear at the same time. That he finds works and prevents the ringing in his ears.

I use a pair of electronic in ear defenders from Hearing Electronics http://www.hearingelectronics.com/index I got them a few years ago at the Game Fair and think that they are great. I prefer them to over the ear which I found I often hit with the stock of the rifle.

I think it depends on what you want to spend (as with many things). The MSA Sordins are really spectacular but you aren't going to get a lot of change, if any, out of 200!

I've used the Howard Leight, Browning Rechargeables, Peltor Tactical 6S amongst others and now swear by my Peltor Sportacs (I do a LOT of target shooting so have genuinely worn out many of the above sets - and I get bored easily!). For me they offer by far and away the best combination of protection, noise transfer / amplification and are, to my mind, very reasonable (IIRC you can get them from between 60 and 80 if you really shop around).

A friend who scoffed at the idea of electronics tried them and was amazed at how much more you can hear with them and the directionality, whilst taking a little while to get used to (the amplification has an effect I think!), is still excellent. Roost shooting was a doddle with them as I could tell where the birds were as soon as they came anywhere near a tree!

I've also been told by an audiologist that hearing damage can occur through transmission through the skull, not just through the ear canals so whilst in-ear electronics or valved plugs can work reasonably well, if you're using a full bore rifle unsilenced then you could still have problems without proper ear defenders...

Hope this helps

JohnE

[QUOTE=jcev39;697047]I think it depends on what you want to spend (as with many things). The MSA Sordins are really spectacular but you aren't going to get a lot of change, if any, out of 200!

I've used the Howard Leight, Browning Rechargeables, Peltor Tactical 6S amongst others and now swear by my Peltor Sportacs (I do a LOT of target shooting so have genuinely worn out many of the above sets - and I get bored easily!). For me they offer by far and away the best combination of protection, noise transfer / amplification and are, to my mind, very reasonable (IIRC you can get them from between 60 and 80 if you really shop around).

+1 on the Sportacs - I agree the sordins are good but wasn't sure worth more than twice the money!

+ 1 on Howard Leight I use them on driven Pheasant realy good
    AT THE AGE OF 50 I DECIDED I WAS GOING TO GROW OLD F***ING DISGRACEFULLY