magazine for a BSA .22 rim fire

charlieboy-shooter

Hi,

I have a friend that wants a magazine for a BSA .22 rim fire rifle. The original was a 5 cartridge magazine. I have asked him for a model number of the rifle & he does not know but reckons BSA did not make a lot of variants. The rifle shoots fine but is old. If anyone has one for sale or ideas of who to ask please let me know & I will pass on the details.

Thanks

hi feller have you a picture of one as i may have one knocking around my old git box!! is the mag release on the mag like a spur !!

mine was the bsa tube fed 13 shot with a PH scope and mod C1932 think it was call huntsman ?

Thanks guys, Just spoke to him. Still none the wiser on the model but have asked him for a photo and he will check out if the release is on the magazine or gun.

My first 22 was a BSA Sportsman Five, I guess that could be the model. That was back in the mid fifties.

Correct !
My first rifle in 1951 was a BSA Sportsman 15 and had a 15 shot tubular magazine. [ Nine pounds and ten shillings.]
The Sportsman 5 with detachable clip magazine was eight pounds and fifteen shillings.

HWH.

I always thought you Northern boys had more cash than us poor Westcountry lads. I just couldn't find the extra fifteen bob for the 15 shot model!

hi feller have you a picture of one as i may have one knocking around my old git box!! is the mag release on the mag like a spur !!

Hi Paul o, hopefully you will be able to see attached picture and yes it looks like it has the release on the mag. Apparently this one has something wrong with the spring so the cartridge jams as you try to load. It has been stripped down by others who have been unable to repair it. I am trying to get it off him and see if I can do any better, but I said I would ask on here 1st.

Thanks

Steve

photo.jpg

as per pm feller i do have one left some where but for the life i can't remember just had a look in the loft old parts box ? not there :old: lol so i shall have a good look sunday mty

Hi Paul o, hopefully you will be able to see attached picture and yes it looks like it has the release on the mag. Apparently this one has something wrong with the spring so the cartridge jams as you try to load. It has been stripped down by others who have been unable to repair it. I am trying to get it off him and see if I can do any better, but I said I would ask on here 1st.

Thanks

Steve

View attachment 35609

as per pm feller i do have one left some where but for the life i can't remember just had a look in the loft old parts box ? not there :old: lol so i shall have a good look sunday mty

I am sorry to be the tidings of bad news but that looks like a Super Sport Five magazine. These are about as common as hens teeth. This is a Supersport Five:-

The bolts on this model cock's upon opening unlike the Sportsman Five which cock's upon closing.

48107442.jpg

Top is a Supersport Five below a Sportsman Five.

391978910.jpg

On the left is the Sportsman Five magazine and to the right is the Supersport Five magazine.

I can think of Four BSA rimfires that used Five shot magazines. The two already mentioned plus the Armatic and there was also a Pump rifle that had a box magazine as well.

Now I suggest you strip and clean the magazine as chances are it's all gunged up inside. The bottom plate slides out and the spring then can be removed and cleaned. Clean the inside of the case and the follower. Then reassemble.

Hope that is of some help.

Thanks Birthunter, that's exactly what I like about this site, the effort people go to help & pass on knowledge. I only ever see my mates gun when he is cursing and by then its generally dark but I will show him your pictures, as it will be good to know what model his rifle is. I know he has been looking for quiet a while with no joy, so I suspected it was long shot, but hey you gotta try. It has got worst recently so I will try cleaning it.

Thanks again

Steve

I used to have a nice Supersport 5 & the original mag never worked very well - It had been bent (very slightly) in a previous life & despite a few tweaking sessions I never got it perfect.
At the time someone was selling plastic replacement mags which came from either Australia or NZ - dunno if they are still available. I just about wore mine out I used it for 10 years regular bunny bashin'

Ian

I used to have a nice Supersport 5 & the original mag never worked very well - It had been bent (very slightly) in a previous life & despite a few tweaking sessions I never got it perfect.
At the time someone was selling plastic replacement mags which came from either Australia or NZ - dunno if they are still available. I just about wore mine out I used it for 10 years regular bunny bashin'

Ian

Those plastic ones are horrid.. I may even still have one of them here somewhere.

thought the armatic was 10 shot double column

You may be right as I never had one. Wanted one for the collection but that's as far as it went. Need to find out if the Ralock had a detachable magazine or not. That's one I forgot about last night. it's just popped back into the old noggin.

That is a bsa century magazine that is required
T.W.Chambers and co, about £40

Last edited:
That is a bsa century magazine that is required
T.W.Chambers and co, about £40

Ahhh the century was a single shot target rifle based on the Super Sport but the magazine well was replaced with a loading platform. I see Chambers says they are different .................................... Hmmmm

Rather a moot point though as their web site says it and the Super Sport Five magazines are out of stock.

Back