Cheap-ish .17 HMR Rifles - Any recommendations?

Tartan_Terrier

I quite fancy getting a .17 HMR rifle for foxes and hares as it's the minimum permitted calibre for both and we have loads of hares on our shoot. I've seen that both Savage and Mossberg do rifles in this calibre at a decent price, but I don't know anyone who actually has one of them.

Have any of you experience with either the Savage 817 series, or the Mossberg 93R series of rifles? Are they worth buying?

If not, does anyone have any other recommendations for a similarly priced rifle in this calibre?

Cheers
T_T

I quite fancy getting a .17 HMR rifle for foxes and hares as it's the minimum permitted calibre for both and we have loads of hares on our shoot. I've seen that both Savage and Mossberg do rifles in this calibre at a decent price, but I don't know anyone who actually has one of them.

Have any of you experience with either the Savage 817 series, or the Mossberg 93R series of rifles? Are they worth buying?

If not, does anyone have any other recommendations for a similarly priced rifle in this calibre?

Cheers
T_T

T_T,

i think you you have your models the wrong way round - the Savage is the 93R. I have one and it is a very good little rifle. I know of a couple of others who are also pleased with them - one who bought having shot mine. My only frustration is not being able to get hold of the 10 shot mag they make in the UK - but a couple of fives does just as well.

In true SD style I know I'm not answering your question BUT if your after a rimfire for foxes I'd go for a WMR instead. There should be some reasonably priced second hand ones about.

Often a CZ secondhand one on here
They are like lazers a surgical instrument with a little practice
they will damage your hares
.22lr is good with little damage to hares

i have a savage 93 in .17 the thumbhole stainless version with accu trigger ,it is a very accurate little rifle, if i do my part it will without fail you can head shoot rabbits at silly distances on a still day, in the wind it's a bugger!!! , it is well made with no faults that i can find or see , never fails to load from the mag, the catch holding in the mag is positive and has never let me down (unlike the cz version a friend has, several lost mags culminated in him selling it )
i got mine threaded for a mod (sak) i hind sight i should have shortened the barrel by the length of the moderator as it can be a bit cumbersome at times .

if you are going to use it for foxes try the 20grn hollow points i have found them much better than the 17grn vmax type

Last edited:
i have a savage 93 in .17 the thumbhole stainless version with accu trigger ,it is a very accurate little rifle, if i do my part it will without fail you can head shoot rabbits at silly distances on a still day, in the wind it's a bugger!!! , it is well made with no faults that i can find or see , never fails to load from the mag, the catch holding in the mag is positive and has never let me down (unlike the cz version a friend has, several lost mags culminated in him selling it )
i got mine threaded for a mod (sak) i hind sight i should have shortened the barrel by the length of the moderator as it can be a bit cumbersome at times .

if you are going to use it for foxes try the 20grn hollow points i have found them much better than the 17grn vmax type

Landkeeper's right there and the 20gr are not good on rabbits - just punch straight through. Maybe a reason to have a mag of each in your pocket.....

I have shot both the laminate stainless thumbhole and the tradition walnut and blued stock - both with varmint barrels. Most unfussy and do the job well.

Thanks for the ammo tips!

The Savage is sounding good so far. I've been doing a bit more internet browsing and have fund another possible contender. Does anyone have any experience with the Marlin 917?

.17hmr is a fantastic easy shooting little round and i would strongly suggest having a look at a cz, i had a varmint cz and on the hares it was devistating due to its acuracy foxing with it was ok as long as you dont push it to far 100yrds tops realy and thats with a head shot but as said before there so acurate its easy enough

a friend had one of the marlins it had so much drop to toe on the stock it was nigh on impossible to use a scope on it he ended up making a comb riser for it , try before you buy

I have an anschutz .17 hmr left thumbhole deluxe, absolute beaut of a thing. I am having trouble getting any 20gr ammo though near me, in lancs

Back