Thread: Reptile Bedding For Tumbling Brass

Reptile Bedding For Tumbling Brass

Has anyone tried using ground walnut shell reptile bedding for brass tumbling?

Fran

Not tried it yet but there was a thread on here not long ago about it

I got some at the weekend (7 for 4kg crushed walnut), added some jewellers rouge into it to make cases extra shiny.

Hoping to have a crack with it this coming weekend. Will let you know how I get on.

I used to use it but because the stuff I was buying was relatively ungraded, there was always one piece of shell that was exactly the size to jam in a primer pocket.

This happened often enough that I got so peed off with extra cleaning of the primer pockets that I gave up and went ultrasonic.
    "Nonsense! They couldn't hit an elephant at this dista.....................".

I have'nt used the reptile bedding, buy have used walnut media from a welding supplies company, i guess its used for grit blasting; works fine, I have nto personally bothered with the rouge i just leave the tumbler running overnight which makes them shiney enough. I did forget once that the tumbler was going and only realised after a week, christ they were soooooo shiney.

Simon

I ran out of the additive so I threw some Brasso in the media. Came out like gold. Fantastic shine on them - almost a pity to use them !

get the tortoise suitable one but be weary its very slooooow to use
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

Quote Originally Posted by Rutland lad View Post
    I ran out of the additive so I threw some Brasso in the media. Came out like gold. Fantastic shine on them - almost a pity to use them !
    Brasso is lovely stuff for polishing but it contains ammonia which can cause necks to crack. Look up "season cracking" to get the whole story. Definitely not recommended for brass cartridge cases, but there are some who've used it, cleaned it off, then not seen any problems. I tried it once without ill effects but decided the brass was too expensive to risk, so haven't used it since.

Crushed Walnut shells with Rouge, makes quick work of mine.