Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCBS FL die damaging case shoulder

RCBS FL die damaging case shoulder

Some help needed please

new RCBS die set, installed as per instructions - ram fully up with case holder installed, turn die until contact with case holder, lower ram and tighten die 1/4 turn more...

My problem is when I full length resize my cases they are coming out with weird indents all round the shoulder..
    It looks as if the neck of the case is being pulled so much that it is damaging the shoulder!

I am using case lubricant.

anyone had this problem before and know how to sort it?

can the cases still be used?

any help much appreciated

AO

Quote Originally Posted by Aqueous Osprey View Post
    Some help needed please

new RCBS die set, installed as per instructions - ram fully up with case holder installed, turn die until contact with case holder, lower ram and tighten die 1/4 turn more...

My problem is when I full length resize my cases they are coming out with weird indents all round the shoulder..
    It looks as if the neck of the case is being pulled so much that it is damaging the shoulder!

I am using case lubricant.

anyone had this problem before and know how to sort it?

can the cases still be used?

any help much appreciated

AO
    Far too much lube.
    Cases will 'blow out' on firing.

You're probably using too much lubricant.
    Disassemble your die, clean it out & try again with less lube.

HTH

Ian

Thanks guys will give it a go again with less lub. I found it very hard getting case out of die and thought that it might have been not enough lub!

AO

they are called hydraulic dents caused by to much lube as the other posters have siad , as already said just load em and use them the dents will blow out to normal after firing
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

SD Regular
    Lube the head (the part immediately above the extractor groove and about 1/4" beyond) of the case well, lube the sides of the case from there up to the shouders adequately, lube the neck of the case lightly. Never, never ever, lube the actual shoulders. That is the flat, if you like, part that sets the headspace against the chamber in the rifle.

After ive rolled my cases in the lube tray I always wipe neck n shoulders off with a cloth before running through the die, if first case had too much lube on it it may dent the next few, dents will lesson til gone.

as spud said just clean it out i use carb cleaner and an old mop chamber brush to size and fitted in a drill also you can polish it at the same time with T-Cut

Quote Originally Posted by 1967spud View Post
    they are called hydraulic dents caused by to much lube as the other posters have siad , as already said just load em and use them the dents will blow out to normal after firing

The reason most are difficult to withdraw off the case is lack of lube INSIDE the neck.

Use Lee F/L dies, with the little holes to get rid of the extra lube.

Neil.