Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which 308?

Which 308?

I Fancy a 308 for range work, heavy or heavy ish barrel, detachable mag with decent capacity (10?) with synthetic stock and a half decent trigger and accuracy potential to start with. Not too bothered about using it for deer, other rifles cover that! Can't afford custom so off the shelf or second hand tweaked will have to do.
    i have been thinking remmy 700 but by the time you swap the trigger out there is a couple of hundred quid gone, possibly a howa?

any recommendations?

Phone Sporting Supplies in Bloxwich. I know about 6 months ago he had a full second hand Remmy 700 .308 range setup in, not sure if it's gone. Had a heavy barrel with synthetic stock, bipod and moderator. It weighed a ton, lovely bit of kit but I was after a stalking rifle.

Have a couple of Rem 700s with varmint profiles, one has a Pacnor Barrel I've not finished yet, the other is a standard Tactical type, factory barrel, HS Stock, Muzzle brake.

Quote Originally Posted by Druid View Post
    I Fancy a 308 for range work, heavy or heavy ish barrel, detachable mag with decent capacity (10?) with synthetic stock and a half decent trigger and accuracy potential to start with. Not too bothered about using it for deer, other rifles cover that! Can't afford custom so off the shelf or second hand tweaked will have to do.
    i have been thinking remmy 700 but by the time you swap the trigger out there is a couple of hundred quid gone, possibly a howa?

any recommendations?
    A Timney or Riflebasix trigger will cost you less than 100! And for range work, instead of the 308, the 7mm-08 could be an option with less recoil, less muzzle blast, flatter with less wind drift than the 308 and inherently accurate. . . just a thought?

I have 2 Remington 700's. One in a .270 and a .308. Why??
    They make for brilliant semi customs. Parts are readily available including stocks, timney triggers etc etc and they're at affordable prices.
    Mine are both left handers, and I won't be getting rid of them anytime soon, as the actions are B & C suffixed. Hard to find too in left hand.

So, you buy a new remington. change the barrel, change trigger, new stock, true up and blueprint the action, add new bottom metal.
    just which bit denotes it as a remington

If you have the knowledge/time to do a load development go with a remmy 700, otherwise a tikka T3 Varmint. If you plan on being successful at target shooting I assume you will be hand loading anyway.

As for aftermarket accessories etc, the majority of shooters wouldn’t know the difference between an aftermarket trigger and a factory fit. I would however look into a stock for the remmy as well as the tikka. Most forum readers, me included, get way lead by “experts”. In reality most if not all factory rifles are capable of shooting better than the average shooter.

The remmy or tikka will give you a great base to build on in the future. However the availability and cost of remmy parts is a bonus. This may change with time as Tikka rifles get more popular.

Blaser R93 Tac
    "Jenkins! Chap over there with the wings - five rounds, rapid"

Sako 85 with heavy barrel for me, if you go for cheaper you will end up spending up to it on triggers, bedding, stock etc IMHO.

I love my 308 Ruger Scout Rifle great fun at the range, makes me smile every time I shoot it ..