Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aargh forgot my sticks!

Aargh forgot my sticks!

Out this morning in the New Forest with Charly from Shavesgreen - like a muppet left my sticks at home

Needless to say he got me on to a small group of feeding roe does, too far for an off hand shot and too much scrub around the nearest tree I could use as a rest, by the time I got into a shooting position they were in the next county!

Can't be sure even with sticks I would have had a clear shot but I am thinking to get some collapsible sticks that will stay in the motor!

sorry to hear of your misfortune but didnt he have a set he could have lent you or even cut two hazel sticks and found a bit of string for you?

SD Regular
    North yorkshire/sometimes down south and occasionally further north
    I've had guests use my shoulder as a rest, I would of though he'd of suggested that?

Thanks Sir-lamp-alot, sadly his had been nicked from the back of his truck, and by the time I realised my oversight we were at the permission and any noise cutting hazel would have carried too far - still they'll be there for next time!

Hmm don that too but also shot off a sholder and had a stalker shoot of my sholder in the past.

Very surprised at a professional stalker taking you out without sorting something out for you, can't be too bothered about you getting a beast. Several times I have cut something from the woods when I've forgotten my sticks, I would go as far as to say that it's almost pointless stalking in lowland woodlands without some sort of stick.

Took a guy out Sunday am he forgot his sticks I leant him mine on which he promptly shot a pricket from them !!
    Norma

Quote Originally Posted by JC275 View Post
    Very surprised at a professional stalker taking you out without sorting something out for you, can't be too bothered about you getting a beast. Several times I have cut something from the woods when I've forgotten my sticks, I would go as far as to say that it's almost pointless stalking in lowland woodlands without some sort of stick.
    ++1

Thanks for the replies chaps - to give some context, I was invited out on a new permission where Charly is planning to put up some seats, he was wanting to select the best trees and start to clear brush for good fields of fire - I took my rifle in case we got lucky, and he agreed to go early so that I could still get to work.

We did get onto some deer, but in truth a shot was always marginal - my sticks are the long B&Q variety, and i am 6'3" so there could have been a clean shot over the brush with them but not at all sure - I do take your points about professional guides, but want to be clear that this was a different situation - I only mentioned him because he went out of his way to help me out when it would have been easier not to bother, which was good because I don't get out much

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    Took a guy out Sunday am he forgot his sticks I leant him mine on which he promptly shot a pricket from them !!
    Norma
    I wont forget my sticks Norma when I come down for that free stalk you offer