Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Another .17 HMR incident : HSE Informed

Another .17 HMR incident : HSE Informed

Yesterday lunchtime I had a call from a shooting mate who is also a SDF member. He was out sighting in his CZ American using Hornady ammo and suffered a barrel blockage, result was a badly twisted bolt and a 2" piece of the stock from behind the bolt shattered off, so another ruined .17 HMR. Very luckily he was unhurt.

I am unclear of the exact events but clearly the prev round was a mis fire and the bullet lodged in the barrel far enough up for the next round to be chambered and fired.

I have done a quick search on the net "Faulty .17 HMR ammunition" and it brings up reams of stuff.

I am also aware of the posts on SDF.

Clearly this is an ongoing and serious problem which is not being resolved so I have written to the HSE and asked them to investigate.

Its not really their issue, however if any Gamekeeper or Pest control officer who uses a .17 HMR as a part of their job suffered the above then it could be reported as a Dangerous Occurance and if the shooter was injured it might also be reportable as a RIDDOR if it was a seven day injury.

I await the HSE's response.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Cyres View Post
    Yesterday lunchtime I had a call from a shooting mate who is also a SDF member. He was out sighting in his CZ American using Hornady ammo and suffered a barrel blockage, result was a badly twisted bolt and a 2" piece of the stock from behind the bolt shattered off, so another ruined .17 HMR. Very luckily he was unhurt.

I am unclear of the exact events but clearly the prev round was a mis fire and the bullet lodged in the barrel far enough up for the next round to be chambered and fired.

I have done a quick search on the net "Faulty .17 HMR ammunition" and it brings up reams of stuff.

Clearly this is an ongoing and serious problem which is not being resolved so I have written to the HSE and asked them to investigate.

Its not really their issue, however if any Gamekeeper or Pest control officer who uses a .17 HMR as a part of their job suffered the above then it could be reported as a Dangerous Occurance and if the shooter was injured it might also be reportable as a RIDDOR if it was a seven day injury.

D
    What type of Hornady ammo? any photos of the damage ?

There does seem to be quite a few incidents with .17hmr Hornady rounds jamming up the spout!!
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

"I am unclear of the exact events but clearly the prev round was a mis fire and the bullet lodged in the barrel far enough up for the next round to be chambered and fired."

Pedantic I know, but part 1 of the sentence I have taken from your post doesnot support the second part and why did your friend not write?- after all he has all the facts

I totally agree with the OP further investigation is required into ammunition batches that are dangerous, or could lead to the potential serious injury or incur death of someones life
    If the manufacturers Hornady are aware of the occurrences then a factory recall of all faulty goods made should be issued.
    I have also had something very similar happen to me ,only I did manage to do a final check before engaging the second round.
    I use .17 hmr hornady red tips

On Misfiring, I ejected the round ,The head or tip of the bullet became dislodged from the case after ejecting the case ,expecting the bullet to be intact,this was not the case.
    The bullet tip was still in the barrel

I luckily had a rod in the car and dislodged the bullet tip and still keep it as evidence if required.to prove the ammo is faulty

The report was made to the gunshop and the answer that I recieved back was ,"nothing to do with me mate" its a manufacture issue

Now I treat each round with caution ,pre inspecting the neck for any damage before I load into the mag

Keep us all posted on what the manufacturer or importer intends to do

Good Luck
    Last edited by jonevo; 13-12-2013 at 14:31.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyres View Post

D
    So lets get this clear.Your mate has had a misfire for whatever reason,not checked the rifle and then loaded another round in the rifle and fired it.

Quote Originally Posted by news of the world View Post
    So lets get this clear.Your mate has had a misfire for whatever reason,not checked the rifle and then loaded another round in the rifle and fired it.
    Possibly, or maybe he didn't realise as there may have been partial ignition (if that's the right word).

Quote Originally Posted by news of the world View Post
    I took what he said to mean that the person doing the shooting was unaware of the misfire, rather than that he knew and fired the gun a second time anyway.

This is the fifth .17 HMR "blow up" story I've seen in as many months. Clearly something about this round /batch / manufacturing process / whatever is not right. Most people manage to fire thousands or millions of rounds (collectively) in other calibres without reading stories about them blowing up / misfiring / failing to function every week.

Not had any experience like this, I have 2 x CZ 452 Americans in 17 HMR. 1 night vision, 1 day scope, I've fired 1000's of the 17 grain Hornaday red tips. I'm always cautious due to these reports & believe the biggest issue is when the ammunition goes "bang" the bullet is propelled into the barrel without the power to exit the end, leaving the bullet far enough for the next round to be chambered & fired. If I fire & miss or can't confirm bullet strike I check before pulling the trigger again
    Wingy

This problem is not just Hornady ammo it is Remington as well there was a bad batch of cases produced which have small cracks in the neck of the case which can let moisture in and the powder gets damp causing just the primer to go off but not the powder charge, we have had several guns returned to our shop for replacement due to this happening all of the new ammo is fine but there is still a lot around in other shops. We returned all of ours last year.
    But the main thing if you have a partial detonation do not re chamber another round take the bolt out and check the barrel (common sense really).