Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Magnification for the longer short

Magnification for the longer short

Is there a min recommended scope magnification for when taking longer shots at game (say 300 yrds plus), all other things being equal (rifle performance / shooter ability etc ..)

Pass but what I would say is people shooting live quarry in excess of 300yards must really know what they are doing so I guess they don't go looking for answers like minimum mag as they should have extensive experience to vase such things on. Anyway: Live quarry in excess of 300yards, bit to easy to go wrong.

Whatever the max mag is on your scope that you've practiced with until you put 100% of your rounds into a 4" target from a cold barrel at that distance...

Not something that I'd do personally
    Last edited by I. Farticus; 14-12-2013 at 11:15.
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Mag is only one issue. The ability to dial in adjustments on the turrets is another once you get past 300m.

I have 3" gongs set out at 400 yards. It is easy enough to hit them every shot with the 22/250 and an 18x scope with elevation turret. It is a lot harder with the 260 and a conventional 12x stalking scope.

The wind can have a big impact beyond 300. Takes relatively little to shift a bullet a foot either way.

The he long range stuff is interesting.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

A very knowledgeable gunsmith told me that 10 x at 500yds is ample with the right reticule.However there are far more variables in play at that distance than just magnification.
    As CD has indicated wind plays a big part,but if you cant shoot sub 1/2 the your wasting your time, and by that I mean sub 1/2 at distance not just 100yds.
    For instance a very good friend of mine had a 308 that would consistently shoot hole on hole at 100yds with 150gn NBT's, at 300yds you would be lucky to get 3-4", so completly useless for long range with that load.
    Those that shoot at extended distance will have put thousands of rounds down range and invested in every conceivable bit of kit there is going to make it possible.
    Cold bore shots take considerable experience and knowledge to be consistent..

my duplex zeiss 4x32 has been more than I've ever needed for anything from woodland to hill reds.

that said. when I've (for the fun of it) set the rifle up on a roe that's 250yds out+, it's probably reached it's usability for that sized game..on the other hand, with a big stag and larger body, I would feel comfortable with 300yds..not that I'd actually find it of interest to shoot at that range, as it's the stalk and crawl I get my adrenalin rushes from, not pulling the trigger (well, ok, a bit from pulling the trigger too..;-)

the 6x42 I used to have, I'd say was great for roe, but was just a bit too big and heavy compared to the 4x32 for such light stalking. on the reds I'd say the 6x42 was just ideal. not too much for close shots, and easily enough to take shots out to 400 if i ever wanted to on reds...on roe, the 6x would probably reach its limit around the 350yd range, where 8-12x would start taking over; however, unless you're the exception to the rule in the UK, you will probably count 300yd shots on small to medium deer on one hand in your lifetime...if you're an ethical stalker that is.

Quote Originally Posted by blaire View Post
    Is there a min recommended scope magnification for when taking longer shots at game (say 300 yrds plus), all other things being equal (rifle performance / shooter ability etc ..)
    Many would consider that deer sniping and not deer stalking Blaire.
    The objective should always be to get as close as possible so as to maximise the chances of a quick one shot clean kill and to minimise the chances of merely wounding the deer. I'm well aware of the limitations of my shooting ability and try to take shots the closer the better and certainly not any further than 200 yards. For that sort of distance the highest power scope that I have is 8X but I am more than happy to shoot at this sort of range with a 6X.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I have shot at military ranges at 500 and 600yds with both a 4x32 and 6x42 in .270

I am pretty confident that the field of view and sight picture were not the limiting factors!! still managed several VBulls

If deer are 300 yards away either stalk into them or leave them alone. Should you hit one wrong, and it runs, how far away would the next shot be, 500yards, 600yards??

Quote Originally Posted by Rack View Post
    If deer are 300 yards away either stalk into them or leave them alone. Should you hit one wrong, and it runs, how far away would the next shot be, 500yards, 600yards??
    You are assuming that it will run in the opposite direction.