Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: quickest way to get DSC2?

quickest way to get DSC2?

Hi folks,

I've just discovered that I probably need to get DSC2 fairly swiftly in the new year.

What is the quickest way to do it from a standing start (no dsc1)?

Does anyone run packages with the Dsc2 witnessed stalks included?

There is sone urgency here.

Jelen do a package for dsc2 all on if memory serves it was about 600ish?

Did mine with the Moray Outfitting guys in Caithness. No extra charges for the witnessing, so just pay for the stalking I was doing anyway.

You can start collecting witnessed stalks with a AW before you have your level one, but you need the level one to submit the portfolio.

If you can absorb information do the assessment only level one in a morning. That's what I did.

The hardest part with level 2 is the wait. The assessment of the portfolio can take 14 weeks (according to DMQ) so that is the part that holds things up the most.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

DSC1 is simple in terms of booking and attending. How much will be new to you depends on how much experience and knowledge you have taken on so far but you are sure to learn something new. Again DSC2 depends how much experience you have had and whether what you think you know meets the level of what you will need to demonstrate at DSC2. Difficult question to answer really. Drop me a PM if you have any queries on DSC2 as I am an AW.

You will have to have DSC1 before progressing to DSC2.

That aside, the only elements required to obtain DSC2 are - 1. Your skill level & knowledge, 2. Presence of an AW, 3. Obtaining 3 ICRs - however they are made up.

The clock for DSc2 start with the earliest of either date you register or the date of the first ICR element you wish to include. ie you can start compiling your portfolio before registering/ whilst waiting for pack etc to come through.

There are packaged schemes - both on Park deer and elsewhere. Outwith Park scenario, your best and most economic route tends to lay with Hinds/ Does.

EDIT - post crossed with the two above!
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

BDS and Jelen both do a condensed course for Level two,look at there websites........

level 1 is just a matter of turning up and filling out the relevent questions, level 2 you need the deer to be there so you can successfully stalk gralloch and then follow up on the questions asked alongside doing your own write ups.
    so going with someone who has plenty of deer to go at is going to be a big help, doing my level 2 i wanted to be tested in my knowledge and have as good a portfolio as possible. The weather and deer play a big part in how quick you can get it atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Hi folks,

I've just discovered that I probably need to get DSC2 fairly swiftly in the new year.

There is some urgency here.
    The quickest way to the DSC2 is to book yourself in with a Professional Hunter/DSC2 witness with lots of ground that holds Roe, in the Roe doe culling season, for say one and a half days. This will give you an opportunity to do 5-6 seperate stalks on day one and another two 'insurance' stalks the next morning. With a bit of luck you will manage to complete your three ICR's over that short time of intensive hunting.

After struggling with lots of cancelled/blank DSC2 stalks in the Cotswolds I did just that, and the PH who witnessed me was brilliant, and despite averse weather conditions we did find deer and I did manage to get sufficient stalks and culls. It also taught me that with tenacity and under pressure you will find deer, even with a strong Eastern wind, snow, hale, thunder and 6' snowdrifts. The money was well spent. Good luck.
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Quote Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
    Hi folks,

There is sone urgency here.
    There is nothing to stop you doing your DSC 2 before your DSC 1, but you won't be able to register for DSC 2 until you have completed DSC 1 if that makes sense?
    The forms can be downloaded from the DMQ website so you don't necessarily need a portfolio to be getting on with it. However, all evidence submitted must be less than 3 years old.
    I would suggest though that much of the knowledge gained on DSC 1 will assist greatly towards achieving DSC 2. Are you sure you are ready for DSC 2?
    Many folks don't seem to comprehend that the 'leap' from level 1 to 2 is not a small one! An awful lot of first DSC 2 stalks revert to a training stalk where the candidate is clearly nowhere near ready to be assessed. It is often worth going out with an AW or experienced holder of DSC 2 first just to give you confidence that you are up to the required standard.
    Good luck.
    MS

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Hamburger View Post
    The quickest way to the DSC2 is to book yourself in with a Professional Hunter/DSC2 witness with lots of ground that holds Roe, in the Roe doe culling season, for say one and a half days. This will give you an opportunity to do 5-6 seperate stalks on day one and another two 'insurance' stalks the next morning. With a bit of luck you will manage to complete your three ICR's over that short time of intensive hunting.
    Works even better if they have muntjac as well, as shooting several muntjac per outing is certainly not beyond reason. Might be a tad more difficult near Edinburgh though

To MS' point, the leap from DSC1 to DSC2 is not a small one, and I would second his suggestion of finding a friendly AW who will let you go out on an "unwitnessed" DSC2 stalk before committing to a weekend full of stalking, if that makes sense? They should be able to give an honest opinion as to whether you are ready for DSC2 or not.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!