How much to charge for fox control ?

right some people bug my happiness on this forum!!! and its not yourself for asking a sensible question.
If an estate asks you how much you want to control a fox problem then i would say a fair price is around £25 quid a fox and as you have said in your question there's no chance of any other sporting opportunities i.e. stalking , some fishing, or maybe even a day pheasant shooting then your quite right in charging them especially if they have came to you!
If on the other hand you had approached them asking about some fox shooting then fair enough you couldn't expect to charge them!
All my foxing ground i always get something back from it whether it be a bit of stalking or other shooting, you got to remember your covering a lot of ground burning fuel and all your equipment plus you have to bear in mind bullets aren't free whether your reloading or not!!
I can see some people reading this and thinking ohh i would do that for free imagine even asking that question maybe if they would read what is actually written in this question the estate has asked him how much?
In my experience these are the same idiots that come up my neck of the woods and offer silly money for stalking ground outbidding all the local lads by miles then takeing on inexperienced stalkers to fund the lease who are willing to pay through the nose as they havent any other ground! however this is a thread for another day!
so in relation to your question i would say £25 a fox!

Listen carefully and you'll hear the sound of a nail being hit on the head :thumb:

right some people bug my happiness on this forum!!! and its not yourself for asking a sensible question.
If an estate asks you how much you want to control a fox problem then i would say a fair price is around £25 quid a fox and as you have said in your question there's no chance of any other sporting opportunities i.e. stalking , some fishing, or maybe even a day pheasant shooting then your quite right in charging them especially if they have came to you!
If on the other hand you had approached them asking about some fox shooting then fair enough you couldn't expect to charge them!
All my foxing ground i always get something back from it whether it be a bit of stalking or other shooting, you got to remember your covering a lot of ground burning fuel and all your equipment plus you have to bear in mind bullets aren't free whether your reloading or not!!
I can see some people reading this and thinking ohh i would do that for free imagine even asking that question maybe if they would read what is actually written in this question the estate has asked him how much?
In my experience these are the same idiots that come up my neck of the woods and offer silly money for stalking ground outbidding all the local lads by miles then takeing on inexperienced stalkers to fund the lease who are willing to pay through the nose as they havent any other ground! however this is a thread for another day!
+1

Mole catcher charges me £10 per mole or £20 per hour plus travel and can catch many moles per hour. I would have thought £25 per fox or a £25 per hour + travel very unreasonable.

Mole catcher charges me £10 per mole or £20 per hour plus travel and can catch many moles per hour. I would have thought £25 per fox or a £25 per hour + travel very unreasonable.

Clearly varies between regions then, 'cos you'd have to pay a lot more than £10 per mole around here!!!

the lads i know up north charge £25 per fox and £10 for fuel.

bob.

spot on Robert.

as i said up top.

if i get asked down here its the same. £25 per fox + £10 for fuel.

isitcozamajock ;)

bob.

simon1979 not having a go but bugger me side ways!!!! he's being asked how much hes not been out chapping doors read what's being asked lol
to quote bobj isitcozamajock this buckled me with laughter :lol:

the mole catcher is a prime example the buggers rip up the silage ground and blunt-en the cutting blades on the mowers as well as contaminating the silage and cows wont eat it costing a lot of ££££ and farmers don't like loosing money and will pay what ever the catchers ask!! as if they don't the buggers breed like bunny's and cost the farmer money!
Again sheep farmers with foxs running riot imagine just 1 vixen been left to breed year in year out and none of the offspring being dealt with properly apart from the recreational lamper taking couple a year!!!! pffft the farmer would be out of buisness within a year or two !! then imagine the same scenario on an estate which depends on its income coming from 500 600 pheasant shoot days !! my god most of the lads on this forum will know exactly what charlie can do to a pen full of poult's as well as mature birds !!! or even a duck pond! devastating! financially and as well as mentally for a keeper and with big estates the keepers dont always have time to spend hours trailing there fields for foxs!
To conclude the problem is theres too many guys who would do it for nothing when really your doing them a favour!!

To the OP all I would say is go for what seems to be the going rate for paid control of £25 a kill plus fuel and make hay while the sun shines as my old gaffer would say but do not be too disheartened when someone comes along and undercuts you

+1
Theres lots of internet heroes on here that just like to argue and push an invalid point.

If they are having problems and they don't have the equipment to deal with it then a decent land owner will not forget you if you have put in the effort to help him out , on the other hand you might get one that will use you , your equipment, your diesel, so you have to get something back, im lucky down here a lot of farmers show there thanks in different ways because when it comes to lambing and lambs go missing they want the problem sorted asap. Don't be used I would say.

simon1979 not having a go but bugger me side ways!!!! he's being asked how much hes not been out chapping doors read what's being asked lol
to quote bobj isitcozamajock this buckled me with laughter :lol:

the mole catcher is a prime example the buggers rip up the silage ground and blunt-en the cutting blades on the mowers as well as contaminating the silage and cows wont eat it costing a lot of ££££ and farmers don't like loosing money and will pay what ever the catchers ask!! as if they don't the buggers breed like bunny's and cost the farmer money!
Again sheep farmers with foxs running riot imagine just 1 vixen been left to breed year in year out and none of the offspring being dealt with properly apart from the recreational lamper taking couple a year!!!! pffft the farmer would be out of buisness within a year or two !! then imagine the same scenario on an estate which depends on its income coming from 500 600 pheasant shoot days !! my god most of the lads on this forum will know exactly what charlie can do to a pen full of poult's as well as mature birds !!! or even a duck pond! devastating! financially and as well as mentally for a keeper and with big estates the keepers dont always have time to spend hours trailing there fields for foxs!
To conclude the problem is theres too many guys who would do it for nothing when really your doing them a favour!!

In relation to the question asked I wouldnt charge a fee. Never said hed been out chapping doors, and if he had good luck to him

Last edited:
If they are having problems and they don't have the equipment to deal with it then a decent land owner will not forget you if you have put in the effort to help him out , on the other hand you might get one that will use you , your equipment, your diesel, so you have to get something back, im lucky down here a lot of farmers show there thanks in different ways because when it comes to lambing and lambs go missing they want the problem sorted asap. Don't be used I would say.
Last night's foxing trip was a pretty inclement one, but, as mentioned above, something always comes back from a decent landowner / Farmer, enjoyed piloting Mike around the hills, taking up the offered loan of a little JCB mule type truck!, stayed dry, covered ALL the ground in one go.:cool::tiphat:

Good evening, no charge for fox control. You originally said you wouldn't get anything for your benefit for doing this, but word of mouth fast gets round and if you getting rid of these foxes then this can open many other doors up for you :)

in town fox £60 per call fox or not shotin back garden to cover fuel and insurance's as for farmers Free any place essex

most shooting organizations insurance cover does not cover you for paid work , only leisure .
That's why you need people like Cliverton.

+ 1 for Cliverton for pro insurance. However someone giving you some occasional cash expenses to help them out with a problem shouldn't be an issue as long as you are not trading or purporting to be a professional controller.

+ 1 for Cliverton for pro insurance. However someone giving you some occasional cash expenses to help them out with a problem shouldn't be an issue as long as you are not trading or purporting to be a professional controller.

Suspect HMRC would see it differently (and the law should something go pear shaped!)
Accepting cash is payment, how you allocate that to the job in hand is down to you, doesnt matter if you make £10 or £1000, by accepting payment you are in a contract, verbal or otherwise.

you have no control of how the PAYER allocates that money.
If they put it through their books as payment for a job then it further hampers the idea that it is not payment

Suspect HMRC would see it differently (and the law should something go pear shaped!)
Accepting cash is payment, how you allocate that to the job in hand is down to you, doesnt matter if you make £10 or £1000, by accepting payment you are in a contract, verbal or otherwise.

you have no control of how the PAYER allocates that money.
If they put it through their books as payment for a job then it further hampers the idea that it is not payment

The point was expenses payment to cover your costs, fuel, bullets, to include the cost of zeroing and practice etc all legitimate costs to be covered to help a farmer with predator control. If HMRC accept reasonable payments to beaters for a shoot for expenses there is very little argument against similar numbers for fox shooters.

If you are doing it for a living it would not be unreasonable to expect £150 pn plus traveling expenses , similar rate to what a builder charges and he`s out in all weathers . Don't forget theres public liability insurance , most shooting organizations insurance cover does not cover you for paid work , only leisure .

Is it wise to p1ss the wrong way in a hurricane?
No, and theres no need to ask the question if you already know the answer is there.

Back