Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: True Custom build vs Semi-custom vs Off the Shelf Factory

True Custom build vs Semi-custom vs Off the Shelf Factory

I know these are relative terms with many opinions, but what is the differences between a CUSTOM, SEMI-Custom and off-the-shelf FACTORY rifle? Where do you draw the line between Semi and custom or Semi and off the shelf? I am interested in your opinions. Thank you.

I should think that an "off the shelf" package is quite unusual. In reality, most would be semi- custom in so far as you choose a style you like in a calibre that you like, then add your own choice of mod, scope, bipod, sling etc. In effect, you "customise" it yourself to suit your own tastes. In an off the shelf package these choices would have been made for you.
    Of course this is quite different from a custom build, which I should imagine means starting from scratch - a lump of wood and some bits of steel.
    Last edited by VSS; 14-12-2013 at 14:19.

Custom - pick one of the following actions (or similar) http://www.accurateshooter.com/gear-...ustom-actions/ then specify the full build.

Semi-custom - Take a factory rifle and then get re-barrelled to your specification. I've done this twice, see my Gallery for the spec of my 260 Rem.

Just my opinion. I'm sure someone will be along shortly with a different (and equally valid) view.

Regards

JCS

Custom…. Your choice of action, barrel, stock, trigger, bottom metal. There are many options available on all of these.
    Semi custom…. Usually using one or more component off a factory rifle , usually the action and building up from there.
    Factory rifle… This is a rifle built in a factory and purchased from an RFD… Remmington, Sako, Tika, Blaser etc

Regards

Ed

If I put a red light under the back of my mk3 cortina next to my static strip is it then a custom car ?
    Obviously just my humble opinion on things and each to their own
    Regards
    Jimmy

to me.

custom = choice of wood, layout, checkering, stock style, fit to shooter, choice of barrel, blueing type, action, mounts, rings, front and rear sights and zero height if express sights for various leaves with shooters main load. choice of bottom metal, engraving, flooplate, choice of jewelling/engraving/etc. choice of recoil pad, plate, steel, skeleton, leather covered, etc. etc. choice of finish on stock, usage of ebony/rosewood for tips, rounded tips, schnabel, etc. choice of free floating or fully bedded, choice of pillar bedding, glass bedding, choice of inlaid steel in forend to stop warping, choice of steel rod through wrist. choice of cross bolts and inlays used in screws. choice of sling studs and styles or barrel bands, choice of barrel twist, length, profile, etc. choice to have blueprinted, choice to have a different bolt handle or have it re-styled...list goes on, including triggers of course!

'that', is custom ;-)

Semi-custom = using existing components whether it's barrel, action or stock, and customising it by changing some or most of the 'other' parts/components, which could include any of the above.. however, mostly, when I hear of 'custom rifles', and all it is is a standard factor action with a new barrel screwed on, bedded into a synthetic stock, maybe with a piccy rail or a coat of spray paint...and with a price tag matching many true 'custom' rifles.

of course, there are many ways to 'semi-customize' a rifle, where do you draw the line, but usually the main component such as the action and maybe trigger + bottom metal is held constant.

Factory = mass produced junk with complete disregard to quality of wood, inletting accuracy, test shooting, etc. etc. only a few manufacturers make ' really good' factory rifles, of course, Sako being one, arguably Tikka is ok, but used to be great. There are others of course, but there is more junk than quality out there...............these guys (factory rifles) are the reason why aftermarket parts makers and synthetic stock makers, barrel plumbers and spray painters make a living ;-)

SD Regular
    CUSTOM! Another Americanism (and no disrespect to Americans...when in Rome and etc) that has crept into use here regarding weapons.

The word is BESPOKE please!

Bah, humbug and all that. But just the same as that awful HEADS! Which do you mean a BULLET or the base of a cartridge case?

Interestingly the French are very protective of the heritage of the French language and have a French heritage site which is anti American (in terms of adulteration of their language) and I was thinking of setting up a similar one for the English language. We have sites which provide a reference for correct grammar etc but not for American adulteration of our language as far as I can tell.

A good friend of mine will not patronise any coffee shop (or any shop) which offers "regular" or "to go" anything. I've been with him when we have gone through the doors of a shop and then done a u turn to exit when looking at the menu on display. I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by jon2 View Post
    Interestingly the French are very protective of the heritage of the French language and have a French heritage site which is anti American (in terms of adulteration of their language) and I was thinking of setting up a similar one for the English language. We have sites which provide a reference for correct grammar etc but not for American adulteration of our language as far as I can tell.

A good friend of mine will not patronise any coffee shop (or any shop) which offers "regular" or "to go" anything. I've been with him when we have gone through the doors of a shop and then done a u turn to exit when looking at the menu on display. I love it!
    Unlike French, English doesn’t have an institution responsible for codifying and policing it, whereas the Académie Francaise is pretty much the regulatory body for the French language, at least in France. The purpose of the AF is not to defend the language against the onslaught of foreign words, although it’s telling that that’s often how it’s perceived, but it is to record, standardise and improve the language to make it suitable to deal with complex topics, including, importantly, government. It was created as part of the ongoing drive to make French the official and indeed only language in France, following Francois 1er’s decree establishing this. So it’s very clearly a State institution and an aid to centralisation. However it’s also very instrumental in furthering the French State’s active hostility to regional and minority languages like Occitan, Alsatian, Basque and Breton. Indeed, the constitution states that French is the Republic’s official language, and makes no mention of any others. The AF opposes any change to this, as it would mean that France would be able to ratify the European Charter for Regional or Minority Languages, and then the Republic would have to let the peasants speak as they want to. Which I suppose is a perceived threat to the “One and Indivisible Republic”.

I may have gone off topic a bit there, but there you go, it’s not just about rifles.