Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad to see an old friend gone

Berkshire then Dorset now Herefordshire with a good dose of Dorset
    Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (15)View my Gallery (15)

Sad to see an old friend gone

It's always sad to see an old friend hasn't made it through to another year. I have spent many hours quietly sitting under this tree waiting for a deer. It has given me shade in the summer, shielded me from storms and now even in her passing provides me with a beautiful field shooting bench Thank you old friend and RIP
    “Man surprised me most about humanity. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.”........Dalai Lama

Thought this was gonna be another Red Dot thread .
    Better to have failed again than to have lifted someones leg

I must be soft in the head because I've had the same feelings about a couple of trees. People talk about the soothing effect of the waves on a shore, personally I don't get that but I do get a very peaceful feeling sat under a tree watching open countryside and it's never the same two days running is it.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by snowy View Post
    Thought this was gonna be another Red Dot thread .
    Is an SD slang vocabulary evolving? "to do a Red Dot"

I cut a few down around the lakes every year and never worry about it, there time has come and that's it.
    The member feel a bit different, like it's the crime of the century, but then moan if you leave it trailing across a
    swim or path. But two years a go I had to cut down a very scrappy and sparse old pine.......
    I planted that tree when I was about 7, dug it up from my granddads garden and planted it again all those years ago.
    I hated to cut it down, but it was as dead as a dodo, killed by Cormorant crap.
    I have to say that did bring a tear (actually a few more than one) when I thought back over the near 50 years that I have
    sat beneath is while fishing that lake, even now I can't bring myself to fish anywhere I can see where it was while fishing

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    Is an SD slang vocabulary evolving? "to do a Red Dot"

Hang on a minute. I'l be back ............

Oh, and you are not 'soft' for loving a tree.

K

Made me smile. Glad to see others feel the same about their shady bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Dougster View Post
    Made me smile. Glad to see others feel the same about their shady bit.
    But he did get an al fresco dining table in it`s place.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

I'm not superstitious but my old stalking partner passed away earlier this year (RIP mate) and the tree he always used to lie under fell, it was in good health, and then on a camera I have seen a Roe Doe turn up on the ground for the first time. I'll never walk past that tree and not think of him.

Paul