Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dodgy Swarovski from eBay?

Dodgy Swarovski from eBay?

I've just bought a Swarovski Z6i via eBay. A few hiccups along the way.
    When it (hopefully) arrives, any suggestion as to how best to verify quickly it's authenticy and quality?
    Thanks.

SD Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by simonl View Post
    When it (hopefully) arrives, any suggestion as to how best to verify quickly it's authenticy and quality?
    Thanks.
    Email Swarovski customer service with the serial number
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

not really seen any dud swaro scopes on the market. leupolds on the other hand !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    Email Swarovski customer service with the serial number
    +1.

To weed them out, always best (hindsight being 20:20) to ask for the serial number, and a photo of where it is on the scope, before bidding. Watch how quickly the auction shuts down if it's iffy!
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by jay 22 View Post
    not really seen any dud swaro scopes on the market. leupolds on the other hand !!!
    Have you sold all those yet Jamie?

Quote Originally Posted by simonl View Post
    Thanks.
    I think I may have been looking at that too. Was it the one advertised as an unwanted gift and relisted to accept a best offer?

That's the one. I wondered if he was trying to sell it twice, but contacted eBay & they confirmed first buyer pulled out. I then had nightmares trying to make the payment, due I to my bank's anti fraud mechanisms. I had a 10% off voucher offer from eBay, which would have eased the pain had I been able to pay before the voucher expired midnight Friday!
    eBay told me (in writing) the fault was down to 'a problem with the seller's Paypal account'. I told him, and he was told by ebay that the buyer (me) 'had made no attempts to pay and was clearly making excuses'. Wrong on 23 counts!
    He then sends me a request to cancel and realists a *third* time!
    This is getting boring! Summary = I've paid up and awaiting scope. Given his slightly dodgy approach (maybe he really was genuinely too busy to speak to me) I'm keen to do everything I can as soon as the scope arrives to validate everything. Any hint of doubt and it goes back to him I'll post any problems on here for people to avoid it. Listing it for the fourth time would really start to look dodgy for him...

Ebay has become a necessary evil I'm afraid. It is great when it is all working well but as soon as there is a hint of a problem everyone runs for the hills. In my experience the paypal and ebay problem solving and mediation stuff is a waste of time, basically if you get stung then tough luck is their attitude.

The good news is I have never seen a fake Swarovski, the only risks are whether it will arrive at all and if the condition is as it was described.

I have a dilemma at the moment, I have a pair of Swarovski 7x42 SLC's to sell, I could put them on here at a fair price and probably do someone a good turn without any hassle with fees or commission etc or I could risk an ebay sale and most likely get £100 more? I suppose the answer is to try on here first.

I hope the scope turns out to be fine for you. The Z6's are great, I have two.

Thanks for that. Good to know it's unlikely to be fake.
    Any recommendations for testing it? I was thinking, after trying all the functions, of mounting on rifle and zeroing, adjusting up 1, then right 1, down 2, left 2, up 2, back to zero. I'm hoping that will produce me a box...
    Any other/alternative suggestions for proving it?

Simon good luck with the scope.

If you are going to test by 'walking the dog' then use 10 clicks, it gives a much better display of the scopes tracking ability compared to 1 click and unless you are shooting groups of less than 1/3" (1 click) you won't be able to check if its the scope or your group.

Also if you do it as described you won't be back at zero ( try it on the number pad of the pc if you have one, if you start at 5, go up 1 to 8, then right 1 to 9, then down 2 to 3, left 2 to 1 and up 2you end up at 7 i.e one click too far left and one too high).

Try a shot at zero, then 10 left, then 10 up, then 20 right then 10 down then 10 left - this will bring you back to true zero and tests all four directions.

ATB
    Last edited by floyd; 15-12-2013 at 21:51.